DISCUSSIONS

Find the answers to many of your expat questions here

View Latest Posts

You're missing out...

As a member you can enjoy exclusive info and offers.

REGISTER NOW

living near morlaix

Posted by DebNDom - Created: 4 years ago
0 0
Sorry no image available

10 replies (Showing replies: 1 to 10)

Sorry no image available
Posted by Doreen Smith - 4 years ago

Thanks for the advice.  I've contacted Wendy again.  I learned French at school but I have never used it because all the French people I know speak English. It will be embarrassing but I'm determined to use my basic French - Google translate will help.  Plugasnou sounds beautiful.. There are a couple of houses on the market there in my budget so if they are still available I'll look at them. 

Sorry no image available

I agree with the point you are making about moving to a country just because the propeties are cheap.  That should not be the main reason to move to any country.  I've worked in lots of counties and enjoyied living in each one of them - including Bulgaria as I lived in Sofia for a year.  You are also right about some properties in the UK being similarly priced but I couldn't find anything in Cornwall for under 80,000 pounds.  Do you work in Brittany?

Sorry no image available
Posted by Iguana Rock - 4 years ago

Not all houses in France are cheaper. Like anywhere, it depends on location. We sold our large detached house in Cornwall and moved to just outside Roscoff. Here, we have a smaller detached house with a bit more land for very slightly less than we sold our Cornish home for. OK, I admit we live right on the coast here as opposed to Cornwall where we were about 7 miles from it.

To live in a place just because property is cheap is ridiculous. If that were the only criteria we'd all be living in Bulgaria!

Sorry no image available
Posted by No longer Online - 4 years ago

Some friends of ours near a few kilometres out of Morlaix and she said to me that her household taxes would be double in Morlaix itself.

Sorry no image available
Posted by brodeuse - 4 years ago

Very bad flooding last year. Who knows if it will happen again but I wouldn't want to chance it!

Sorry no image available

What's the problem with living near the river in Central Morlaix?

Sorry no image available
Posted by rance-781573 - 4 years ago

It's also very naive to move to a country as the properties are cheaper. There is far more to living than moving because houses are cheaper. Ask the many thousands that live in Spain or France who had fallen for living where properties are cheap and now want to go home. Sadly they don't have the finances any longer to do so and are trapped in a house and in a country they no longer wish to be in. Sorry but that is a true fact.

Sorry no image available

Thank you all for the feedback.  I'll definitely look at Ar Ger properties.  I think I might have already contacted Wendy but I will email her again in June to arrange some viewing.  

I know that it's naive IR to think I will find a cheap dream home but have you looked at the price of the properties in UK  they are four times the price of similar in Brittany and also needs loads of work - not to mention the cost of living in them.

If I do find a house near Morlaix I will be very pleased.

Sorry no image available
Posted by aramanta - 4 years ago

Just an idea but Wendy at Ar Ger estate agents in Plougasnou has a pretty unkanny knack of matching houses to people - and they cover the area around Morlaix. If you are committed to the Morlaix area she'd be a very good point of contact. PM me if you want any info on Plougasnou - we love it, shops, restaurants, bar, beaches, coastal path, friendly locals - but very little English spoken, which is good, although a little daunting at first, if you want to immerse yourself into learning French. 

Sorry no image available
Posted by DebNDom - 4 years ago

Thank you for all your comments i originally posted my first post/topic back in february and have since then been guzumped but hay ho no worries we are still looking for the right project, will keep you posted,thanks all,great site