DISCUSSIONS

Find the answers to many of your expat questions here

View Latest Posts

You're missing out...

As a member you can enjoy exclusive info and offers.

REGISTER NOW

Low frequency hum Finistere (29)

Posted by Drum1 - Created: 3 years ago
0 0
Sorry no image available

10 replies (Showing replies: 1 to 10)

Sorry no image available
Posted by Anonymous - 3 years ago

Could it be the H.A.A.R.P. ?

Sorry no image available
Posted by chef du gare - 3 years ago

When we lived in Bedford shire we heard a similar sound scenario and it was later discovered to be some research being done with radio transmitters. So perhaps this bears out the submarine comms theory.

CdG

Sorry no image available
Posted by Farthing - 3 years ago

Hmmmm ..... Interesting...

What key would you say it's in?  If it's B flat it could be serious - could be bagpipes

Sorry no image available
Posted by Joe-Huelgoat-383105 - 3 years ago

Not sure if this is helpful or not.

Our house is high on the hill at Huelgoat and we have unrestricted view as far

as Berrien and almost to Commana. We never smoke indoors and stay up at

night until the early hours. In the silence of the night we hear a dog bar 5 miles away.

So we spend alot of time outside late at night partaking of the awful nicotine habit and

can say we have never hear any unusual sounds at all. (Have seen the space station a few times)

From the places you say you have heard it you are on the other side of the hill from us.

Instantly that would lead me suggest Plouye wind turbines.  Don't bother to stand underneath them to hear your sound you will not. (Normally a few miles away before it hits the ground. Just observe if they are working when you hear the sound.

I hope you eventually find the source.

Sorry no image available
Posted by enthuisiasm - 3 years ago

beam me up Scottie

Sorry no image available
Posted by Kerroux - 3 years ago

Maybe the hum is from the manure they have started to spread. LOL

Posted by itinerant child-414831 - 3 years ago

The sound of the earth turning creates a middle c,so I have read. It could be that !!!

Sorry no image available
Posted by Fitter - 3 years ago

"ATTENTION EARTHLINGS:  ''This is the voice of the Finisterrons"

ROFL - And your forum name is Brainstorm !!!

Sorry no image available
Posted by Brainstorm - 3 years ago

ATTENTION EARTHLINGS:  ''This is the voice of the Finisterrons"

Sorry no image available
Posted by richarddg - 3 years ago

I have also been hearing the hum at Scrignac for the past couple of years.  A neighbour has also heard it  and  a musician friend of mine, with much younger ears has also heard it when visiting.  He has also heard it when at home in South Devon.  Around Plymouth, where my UK home is, the sound may well be masked by traffic noise.  It's most likely to be heard indoors ( no wind noise to mask it) because very low frequency sounds can pass through walls and windows and can often find a resonant frequency in a building - eigentones ( http://store.acousticfrontiers.com/Room-Modes.html).      I remember being kept awake by a fridge in a nearby room once because the room dimension (11 feet across) allowed the room to resonate at that frequency.

We did drive around the area of Scrignac looking for a source and managed to eliminate the local wind turbines and ventilator fans on farm buildings.  There is a theory that the sound is in fact a mix of low sounds, some below our hearing range ( infrasounds) ,that beat together to produce a combined sound.  Infrasounds can travel many miles and go round corners as well.

It is, indeed, well documented on the internet

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Hum

and has even reached the Daily Mail 

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-2380368/Can-hear-The-Hum-How-1-50-world-affected-low-droning-noise-scientists-explain.html

Whatever, I agree, it can be very annoying when trying to sleep.