DISCUSSIONS

Find the answers to many of your expat questions here

View Latest Posts

You're missing out...

As a member you can enjoy exclusive info and offers.

REGISTER NOW

Moving to Brittany !

Posted by Llmsbs - Created: 3 years ago
0 0
Sorry no image available

10 replies (Showing replies: 1 to 10)

Sorry no image available
Posted by Missing Dog Valbonne - 3 years ago

As you are used to not seeing the sun and rain, the only thing I would investigate is the job scene for your children. Not very good I hear unless they want to work in a slaughter house or as a cashier.

Sorry no image available
Posted by Kernana-407546 - 3 years ago

I'd recommend an area inside the triangle formed by Pontivy, Guemene-sur-Scorff and Baud. Easy access to the southern coasts, north coast a bit farther away. Pontivy is lively to be sure. Surrounding countryside is stunning. Properties are not anywhere near as expensive as nearer the coast.

Sorry no image available
Posted by rosieholt - 3 years ago

Bonjour de l'Angleterre,

Pontivy  every time........lovely shops,big supermarkets, not far from Lac de Guerledan for watersports and country walks,1 1/2 hours to the ports Roscoff and St Malo.

When we come back to the area, it's always our favourite  (we lived in Hemonstoir, near Loudeac )

Good Luck !

Sorry no image available
Posted by jinks - 3 years ago

When you move please bring the sunshine with you ???? we could do with some.

Sorry no image available
Posted by lqe29a - 3 years ago

Ploermel has all you ask for, Not too far to Vannes for great out of town shopping and it is warmer than Finistere and Cotes De More.  I live near Josselin and have no regrets,

Sorry no image available
Posted by nhsryan - 3 years ago

Hi, we live in Huelgoat. Its a real charmer. The lake, the gorgeous forest, 2 supermarkets, a cinema, public swimming pool (summer months) few pubs (one English pub serving British food), about 5-6 restaurants, hotels, a dinner-dance once a month, bakeries etc. Its teeming with tourists between late April - early October and loads of summer activities. Most of the shopkeepers speak English in case your French is not good.

Winter is off course a bit slow everywhere in rural France but in our case, we have excellent French neighbours so we always have group dinners in our houses. We take turns. Life is good. Good luck.

Sorry no image available
Posted by Llmsbs - 3 years ago

You're not too late at all, thanks you for taking the trouble to reply. That's the life! A quiet walk on the beach, and the option of refreshments at the end. We don't have much here regarding shops, 40minutes L'eclerc, 1hour 15minutes Limoges, but it is nice to have a retail blow out every now and again. Is there activities, perhaps a yoga class, ten pin bowling or cinema if wanted, And the chance to meet other 20 something friends. It sounds delightful, roughly what area do you live? The weather here is very cold and snowy in the winter and hot and dry in the summer, a bit too cold in the winter for us and a bit too hot in the summer, so we were looking for a little less of both, but not too much rain! 

thanks again for the comments, any input would be appreciated and helpful !! 

Sorry no image available
Posted by NellP-986196 - 3 years ago

Don't be afraid of coastal Brittany in the winter!  If you want wonderful walks on quiet beaches, perhaps a coffee after or even a meal, you will find it, Sunny Sundays see a lot of people doing just that.  If you want retail therapy (and why would you?) you won't find it, but then I feel that's not going to bother you!   Living in a coastal town in winter might not be ideal but chose somewhere a bit further in land and take your days out at the coast.  Love it here!

Sorry no image available
Posted by Iguana Rock - 3 years ago

Same as us watty!! Great isn't it? We cycled then paddled in the sea. We saw about 6 other people. Pure bliss!

Sorry no image available
Posted by Watty-794352 - 3 years ago

I realise that this discussion has probably finished now but just had to let you know the joys of living here   ...   that is, in a beautiful coastal village west of Roscoff.  This evening I walked to the nearby beach with a friend, her toddler and our two dogs and all of us enjoyed a lovely swim on a deserted beach   ...   and this is the holiday season   ...   sheer bliss!