DISCUSSIONS

Find the answers to many of your expat questions here

View Latest Posts

You're missing out...

As a member you can enjoy exclusive info and offers.

REGISTER NOW

Moving to Brittany

Posted by ronsmum - Created: 3 years ago
0 0
Sorry no image available

10 replies (Showing replies: 1 to 10)

Sorry no image available
Posted by ronsmum - 3 years ago

Thank you for your frank overview, yes winter will tell lots, do you think you will move again?

I think there are a lot of lovely areas in Brittany don't think I've found a bad one yet , but will be it 6 months before we decide on our area, a lot depends on the services nearby within  a 15 minute drive ,happy to be semi remote but not so much so no amenities nearby .

Sorry no image available
Posted by BarbaraG-424788 - 3 years ago

Hi,

I have been in Morbihan almost 10 years, and have found the locals to be very friendly and helpful, particularly if you make any effort to speak French. Coastal is great, but inland is less expensive, and you are never more than an hour from some coast or other in Brittany. If you can spend time in an area you think you'd like before buying, that is very helpful. After buying my house and living here awhile, I realised I would have preferred being in a particular area a little farther south.

Huelgoat is lovely, has the beautiful forest and lake, caters to tourists and has a large British population. The south is warmer, of course. I'm in Central Brittany, and just a half hour south of me is a few degrees warmer, and a half hour north is a few degrees colder. Some of the beach towns are ghost towns in winter, full and lively in summer. I agree it's a good idea to visit in winter.

Best of luck!

Sorry no image available
Posted by bretonlion - 3 years ago

Hi,

Caulnes is where I notice the difference .. it seems to get a lot cooler once you are over the railway line ..

Still at the moment I am in Minehead .. where we have had wind with rain ..sun .. rain ..sun .. but up here on the headland looking over to Wales, it is a brilliant place to be with glorious views ..

Rgds

Chris

Sorry no image available
Posted by walnut72 - 3 years ago

we are biased we live in the southern morbihan, where the weather is milder and we have easy access to nantesRennes airports, have a look at the weather averages for the year for areas you like. Yes the huelgoat area is stunning, but it does rain a lot and when I drive to roscoff, many times a year it always strikes me how much colder it is once you cross an imaginary line from Rennes westwards. However that said it is beautiful, just not for us

Sorry no image available
Posted by AnneW-890676 - 3 years ago

More and more near to me are new builds with flat rooves. With the rainy weather here do not go near one! Totally wrong design, buy something with a pitched, slated roof that sheds water.

Anne

Sorry no image available
Posted by PamandAndrew-390752 - 3 years ago

You could get stuck in a 'protest' here in France...happened to me a few times! Nowhere is perfect...I'm sure France has it's fair share of traffic problems but obviously Brittany is sparsely populated and most of us aren't around when people are going to and from work

Sorry no image available
Posted by PamandAndrew-390752 - 3 years ago

You could get stuck in a 'protest' here in France...happened to me a few times! Nowhere is perfect...I'm sure France has it's fair share of traffic problems but obviously Brittany is sparsely populated and most of us aren't around when people are going to and from work

Sorry no image available
Posted by bretonlion - 3 years ago

Hi,

We are back in the West Country of England for a few days .. spent a lovely morning on the A30 in a 10 mile traffic jam due to road works .. still I suppose that could happen anywhere .. in the UK ..

Rgds

Chris

Sorry no image available
Posted by Jasnil-793008 - 3 years ago

Hello, Only just read your post and not had times to read all replies.

I moved to NE Brittany over 20 years ago. No problems with local people. My needs are changing as I age and think walking to shops might be important.

My area is away from your search, but very convenient for ferries, planes etc. I love it and would certainly recommend it.

I am selling my mobilehome for around GBP £15000 (used by me during summer when I let my home for two months) and would suggest this might be a way of cheaply trying an area. Mine is in Dol de Bretagne with walking access to all facilities but also very close to countryside and sea.

You could buy a mobilehome situated in area you decided was of interest. And of course, if you were interested in my area, do give me a ring to discuss. +33 299 80 29 11

My advice is to do loads of research and get lots of opinions. Take your time.

Very good luck,

Jane.

EnglishCoaching@orange.fr

Sorry no image available
Posted by grannydot-403561 - 3 years ago

You really need to come and visit the areas you fancy just stay a weekend maybe, 5 yrs ago I would have given you one answer, but now would give a totally different one. We are retired, live on a small estate, moved there from a tiny hamlet. I decided we needed neighbours,in case of emergency.  But 5 yrs ago I would have lived in the middle of a field with no other building in sight.  Listen, absorb, to other people's views, but you will make your own mind up so start to visit different types of locations to see what you can live with. What is. Fantastic for one someone else just couldn't cope with.