DISCUSSIONS

Find the answers to many of your expat questions here

View Latest Posts

You're missing out...

As a member you can enjoy exclusive info and offers.

REGISTER NOW

Moving to Finistère

Posted by Lennybertie - Created: 3 years ago
0 0
Sorry no image available

10 replies (Showing replies: 1 to 10)

Sorry no image available
Posted by Lennybertie - 3 years ago

Hi country dweller,  thank you for your thought on our subject. Yes we really are in the back of beyond, although the countryside is so beautiful and stunning. Our children have enjured the experience and it's now time to get a life. In particular our 24 year old daughter who needs a career, friends and entertainment. We have joined ex pats, thanks for that. Best wishes.

Sorry no image available

Hi, and thank you so much for your help and info: on our visit to brignogan and different areas in finistere we took note that there is a lot of outdoor activities. The coast is beautiful.  Best wishes.

Sorry no image available
Posted by countrydweller - 3 years ago

"Corezze is dead for young people" Correction Corezze is dead for everyone-even the cows donot move a great deal!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sorry no image available
Posted by 56fr - 3 years ago

the thing to do in brest and surrounding are water sports, stand up paddle boarding is the thing...check out swell addiction at moulin blan they have some evening events....sea kayaking is also big around here... 

expats in brest on facebook is a good go to place as well

Sorry no image available

Many thanks for the additional information,  that's something that I was not aware of. I have lived in France for some time, (Correze), but it's really dead for younger people. That's why I'm worried about frying pan to fire senario. Also, I am in the French tax/health system already. So no problems there. Best wishes.

Sorry no image available

Forgot to add that about this time of the year most towns hold a "Forum des Associations" where all the clubs in the area have stalls etc to attract new members.Look for the posters in the town but if you have missed it then do not worry as I am sure the Marie will have a list of clubs and contacts.

I take it you understand  how the health and tax system here works as it is different to the UK

Sorry no image available

As a fluent French speaker then you are in with a really good chance of a job Many firms are cottoning onto the fact that having an English speaker is attractive to expats so there are all sorts of customer service roles that could apply for.Go along to your nearest pole emploi and get registered there;if you have any qualifications eg degree /diploma in French you could even take the plunge and look at setting yourself up as an interpreter as an auto entrepreneur;Then of course there is volunteering such as in a hospital where you could get an inside track to a job.Be positive emphasise what you bring to an organisation and I am sure you will be OK.Bonne Chance

Sorry no image available

Thank you everyone that replied. So the activities side sounds great. Is there any good towns, besides Brest, that has shops to mooch around?  I am a fluent French speaker. And really want to study to become a Veterinary assistant, but with the move etc., think that it might be too late to enroll this year. So not sure what to do. Best wishes. 

Sorry no image available
Posted by duckman - 3 years ago

Welcome to Finistere.  Friendships here span generations, dont limit yourself to just 'twenty something's'.  There are lots of clubs and things to do, look at your Marie website and in things like the Brittany journal and le telegram newspaper.  the tourist information office is also very helpful and can point you in the right direction for most things, including where to find French lessons. The pole emploi is the job centre and there are agencies as well.  Life here, as everywhere, is what you make of it.  The best advice we were given is to say bonjour to everyone and speak to you neighbours as often as possible, they are sure to introduce you to lots of other people.

Sorry no image available
Posted by Live&Love - 3 years ago

It's possible, my friends daughter has started uni in Brest. Moved into dorms Monday, applied for jobs Tuesday, interview on Thursday and she heard Friday she got it. Starts next weekend. Yes onLY a weekend job in local supermarket but it's all she has time for with uni. Depending on what you like to do there are thing around, cinema, ice skating, bars and clubs. Good luck