DISCUSSIONS

Find the answers to many of your expat questions here

View Latest Posts

You're missing out...

As a member you can enjoy exclusive info and offers.

REGISTER NOW

my view of France

Posted by absolutely gallois - Created: 3 years ago
0 0
Sorry no image available

10 replies (Showing replies: 1 to 10)

Sorry no image available
Posted by jackorjason - 3 years ago

True - luck does enter into life - what I was saying was that perhaps Jason should ask / talk to Jack

Sorry no image available
Posted by PamandAndrew-390752 - 3 years ago

Isn't that the same anywhere...luck and judgement enter into whatever you choose to do but I think the guy in Normandy is employed, rather than having his own business. I wasn't aware of the rules regarding non EU partner/spouse, seems rather harsh when compared to other rules and regulations. Anyway, some businesses will flourish, some won't and it's not necessarily anyone's fault...

Sorry no image available
Posted by jackorjason - 3 years ago

What amazes me is the ' contrast and coincidence ' of living in France - we have a tree surgeon living in Normandy who is struggling to make a living and ( appears ) to want to return to the UK but because he has a non EU wife cannot . Yet , on the other hand , we have a tree surgeon in Brittany ( Lumbersexual ) who appears to be thriving , expanding his business ( if his Facebook postings are to be believed )  and  (please excuse the pun ) ' branching out ' into laying tarmac driveways - he also has a non EU wife but appears to be happy in France with no desire to return to England.Perhaps ' normandytreesurgery should contact Lumbersexual and see what ' the secret to his success is '

Just the thought for today !

Sorry no image available
Posted by Kernowboy-10061199 - 3 years ago

My view of France?  Love it.  We must be one of the few Brits that have come here and bought a much smaller house than we have in the UK, and finance didn't come into it.  We had holidays in France, in Gites etc. Before deciding to buy our own holiday home here. We had spent holidays in most regions but chose Brittany because it reminds me of Cornwall, where I was born and raised but no longer live. We loved our community here so much that after 12 years we decided to make the permenant move.  We like it so much that the downsides were worth going through. We still have our house in the UK because it is our "pension" but we are totally happy here, fully aware of the economic and political situation in France but we are still happy and content.  We have made some big adjustments to live here but it has all been worth it.  It was our dream, we are not "rose tinted" people and knew it wouldn't  always be easy but so far nothing has made us doubt our decision. 

Sorry no image available
Posted by geegee42 - 3 years ago

I grew up in Norfolk and I can assure you country folk are country folk the world over and city folk are something else, French or English, service from my experience is as good and as bad, filling in various bits of paper seems something we all like to do whatever nationality, I live here not because I could buy a lump of land and a big house for thirty grand but because I like it here, I like the space, the lack of traffic, I like the way they maintain the countryside, the french to me are just people, happy sad grumpy, just like us Brits, I find that a lot of us Brits seem to find it difficult to get our heads round how big France is compared to  England, orne where I live is bigger than Norfolk with less than a third of the population, people move here buy a place in the back of beyond and moan that all the bars shut at nine and you can't get decent fish and chips for love or money, back where I come from a lot of the bars are shut permanently and most of the shops shut at five thirty, in the summer the roads are heaving all round the Norfolk coast and you can't park anywhere, where you can park its never free even at the hospital, i don't mind England for a day trip but I couldn't live there anymore.

Sorry no image available
Posted by orme2 - 3 years ago

Regarding whether or not a country is 'normal'.  Every country is normal for its own citizens, especially those who were born and grew up there!  A Chinese person wouldn't find the UK or France 'normal', just as French and British people won't find China 'normal'.

There again, what is normal?  Travellers in the UK probably have more in common with Travellers in France than with settled leafy suburbs UK families!

I grew up in a family that probably wouldn't seem normal to another family.  I remember as a teenager visiting a friend's, whose parents were artists, and being amazed and the 'not normal' way they lived.

Sorry no image available
Posted by Rudge - 3 years ago

I am in a similar position to Jason, albeit retired . My retirement income is below the level that allows my non EU wife to join me in the uK on a permanent basis . At my advanced years, I have little hope of increasing my pension income , so 'trapped' in France or another EU , non UK country . 

But, France is a good safe place , the weather in Winter in Brittany mirrors the damp and rain of South West Uk so not complaining . The empty roads, slower lifestyle, essy parking in towns etc make it a pleasnt place, and generally the French people are polite and welcoming . 

Sorry no image available
Posted by normandytreesurgery - 3 years ago

First barrier is that you need to have a certain level of income already in the U.K in order to bring a spouse into the U.K.

I was self employed before I moved to France although salaried here and even then, most years barely obtained the salary required.

If I moved back to the U.K and started working for myself again, throwing myself wholesale into my business I would be unlikely to obtain the required salary required for at least 2-3 years.

I'm not living on my own for that time when I have young children so I shall stay here in France and get used to life here.

I am an ordinary working man, never owned a house, not a well paid white collar worker and not a retiree living the Year in Provence dream.

Here I clear electric lines for an ERDF contractor, hard and dull work with low pay but it keeps my family well enough with the help of state support in housing and child credits plus the prime de emploi once a year.

Who knows, by the time France finally gives my wife a passport maybe I will have become to enjoy life here.

TBH, I even regret 'talking' about this on A.I. but surrounded as I am by non-English speakers, I relish the contact with Brits even on such a low grade forum as this one.

Jason

Sorry no image available
Posted by PamandAndrew-390752 - 3 years ago

I noticed from the original post, which has been closed, that many responses referred to the fact that some people obviously hadn't done their homework or research, hence the reasons they may have a dim view of France. It's interesting to review various topics as if you do look at them you'll find a reluctance to pay a high hourly rate for say gardening or cleaning but 'homework' would reveal that this has to be the case to make a living. Surprising how many posters contradict what they've said previously...just my observation! You can do as much research as you like but I think most people will say that RSI and the like are a law unto themselves and many unexpected demands arise and most are due to their own incompetance. Life tends to throw lots of things up that are unexpected or unplanned and some views are very harsh, you never know what's around the corner in whatever country you choose to live or whatever language you choose to speak...

Sorry no image available
Posted by chèvrefeuille - 3 years ago

I don't understand your post Jason. In the second paragraph you say that if you did not have the support of you family you would go back to your your former life in the UK but then go on to say that that is impossible anyway. Why is your wife unable to live in the UK? I have one friend who is married to a Russian and another to a Chinese girl. They are both able to live in England. Sorting it out was not particularly straightforwared in either case but both couples managed it.