DISCUSSIONS

Find the answers to many of your expat questions here

View Latest Posts

You're missing out...

As a member you can enjoy exclusive info and offers.

REGISTER NOW

Need help Wife dumped in England by Brittany Ferries

Posted by jandave - Created: 4 years ago
0 0
Sorry no image available

10 replies (Showing replies: 1 to 10)

Sorry no image available
Posted by tigre-979768 - 4 years ago

Good to know your wife will be ok, (hopefully). I suppose this is when travel insurance may come in handy, I know a lot of UK expats just make sure their health insurance card is up to date when travelling back to the UK, difficult to know when to stop forking out money really.

Sorry no image available
Posted by jandave - 4 years ago

Hi everybody, Many Many Thanks to all those that where kind enough to reply, even though I found trying to get the bus times did not work for me. Don't know why.    My original post was about the fact Brittany ferries just said go to Porstmouth or rebook for next week on the Thursday, as my wife had no way of getting to Portsmouth she was going to rebook to this coming Thursday. Then Brittany ferries cancelled that one as well, so I asked for help also  I felt Brittany Ferries had a moral obligation if not legal one (one in the past they have more than fulfilled) to at least find out and inform their foot passengers how they could get to Portsmouth from the original booked port of Plymouth. It was the conversation as reported to me by my wife from Brittany Ferries that it was not their problem if she could not get to Portsmouth, after all when you book a train ticket, aircraft ticket, taxi, or bus, you pick your departure and arrival places because that is where you want to be. I do not know how the law stands on this point but know that if trains are in trouble they lay on coaches and I believe that the aircraft industry have to give help etc. after delays, cancellations etc. Fortunately my wife was staying with relatives I dread to think what could or might have happened to other people who might have booked into a hotel for a short stay trip and found theirselves subject to large bills because of the cancellation. I along with most other people are aware that in business if it can go wrong it will at some point, but those of us who where in the sharp end ie; dealing with that businesses customers knew that the only way to keep that customer was to do everything possible to alleviate any problems the customer might have as hopefully he or she would then stay with you when things returned to normal. If Brittany Ferries had the information to hand in their various port offices on how to go by public transport between their various ports this could then be passed on if and when it was needed. So they would need Plymouth to Portsmouth, Plymouth to Cherbourg etc. If you could reasure your customer you are doing your best for them they will think highly of you if you say its not my problem well I'm sure most people would know what the reaction will be.    I am pleased to report though that my wife has been informed by Brittany Ferries that they have managed to find a ferry to put on next Thursday and my wife has booked it, lets hope its not cancelled again.

Sorry no image available
Posted by suziepops - 4 years ago

Taken from the BF website.  The passenger was offered Portsmouth as an alternative, but it is not BF's duty to get her to the port.  The poster said they had received a refund.  They have fulfilled their contractual obligations.

(iii) Re-routing and reimbursement in the event of cancelled or delayed departures

Where a sailing is delayed for more than 90 minutes or cancelled we will provide you the choice of either, a specific re-routing option to your final destination as set out in your transport contract at the earliest opportunity at no additional charge; or re-imbursement of the price that was paid for transport contract within 7 days.

Sorry no image available
Posted by Gonefishin-423297 - 4 years ago

The X53 runs throughout the year but during the winter it has a reduced time table and I think you may need to change at Weymouth. Google X53 and you should find the times etc.

Sorry no image available
Posted by lolla-92437 - 4 years ago

sad that its always the Plymouth Roscoff route that has to lend the Armorique to Portsmouth and suffers....this crossing started off being the original crossing....and transport in the Sw maybe not as regular as further up country - good luck...

Sorry no image available
Posted by fruitrouge2 - 4 years ago

Have just been searching online about the rules and regs for cancelled ferries whatever the reason, although you are not entitled to compensation due to adverse weather conditions you are entitled to either a refund OR re routing to an alternative destination. They cannot just refund you and then say tough luck it's not our problem.

Sorry no image available
Posted by suziepops - 4 years ago

The poster says he has had a refund.,

Sorry no image available
Posted by dagbaruch - 4 years ago

Why not contact the English press (Telegraph in particular), or Simon Calder at the BBC, and report this to them.  Surely if they cancel the ferry, then a refund, or compensation is due (I don't know if this is the same as airline compensation).

Good luck with this on going saga.

Sorry no image available

Oops @moi....my mistake, sorry...was looking at The Hard instead of International Port. Still, like I said half hour later arrival means less waiting time for ferry to depart and that's gotta be a bonus. :-D

Sorry no image available

@moi...maybe because it's a weekday?....could be a bit different at the weekend, I have always come home on a Sunday. But still a half hour difference is not so bad and if you get there at 18.05 it's 35 mins less waiting for the ferry to depart and the last time I did that journey foot passengers could embark at around 6ish.