DISCUSSIONS

Find the answers to many of your expat questions here

View Latest Posts

You're missing out...

As a member you can enjoy exclusive info and offers.

REGISTER NOW

Opening a shop

Posted by joffs - Created: 3 years ago
0 0
Sorry no image available

6 replies (Showing replies: 1 to 6)

Sorry no image available
Posted by Heavitree-431035 - 3 years ago

It would help to know what sort of retail business you are proposing to open  and where .

Are you looking at rented premises or are you proposing to buy ?

Are you looking to take over an existing business or start a new one ?

French buraucracy can be VERY onerous.

BUT ,positive thoughts ... good luck !

Sorry no image available
Posted by Reveuse-918439 - 3 years ago

It's worth doing if you have a good business idea, and a good business head, and you want to try it.

If the answer to any of those three is 'no' - then it's not worth it. Businesses don't run themselves, they are hard work and you need to stay on the ball.

Sorry no image available
Posted by Anonymous - 3 years ago

bretonne's question is highly relevant.  Running any business here is like jumping through burning hoops naked.  If you have a good idea for selling sought after items with a very good margin in an area that is not already served then it is worth the aggro.  You have only to notice the number of empty shops and short term attempts to keep them open to get some idea of the difficulty. 

Sorry no image available
Posted by joffs - 3 years ago

Sorry , i wasnt  very clear. I dont mean about the shop , i meant is there a lot of rules to complywith , tax etc , évén if you have a small shop , small turnover. I was wondering if anyone was running a shop and could say if the papier work is managable 

Sorry no image available
Posted by bretonne - 3 years ago

What do you intend to sell in your shop and where will it be located ....?  Both very relevant.

Sorry no image available
Posted by Reveuse-918439 - 3 years ago

Well there are shops and shops. All depends if your shop is in the right place and if it sells things that there is a good market for and if you have good enough business skills that you can keep your prices competitive but still make a profit.

If you are just thinking of selling English food to English expats, look hard at the competition first.