DISCUSSIONS

Find the answers to many of your expat questions here

View Latest Posts

You're missing out...

As a member you can enjoy exclusive info and offers.

REGISTER NOW

OUIGO trains

Posted by Angloaussie2 - Created: 3 years ago
0 0
Sorry no image available

10 replies (Showing replies: 1 to 10)

Sorry no image available
Posted by georgeV-988991 - 3 years ago

Most of the replies are about SNCF's regular services from CDG to Rennes and providing the times are suitable the trains are very good and with good reliability.

I have taken the OUIGO from Marne La Vallee to Marseilles and if all you are taking is an inflight bag and your times suit the train the service is fine.  Cheap and cheerful with no facilities and you have to pay heavily for extra baggage.  2 small bags included in the price of the ticket, others extra at 5 euro a bag.  Power for your phone or computer 2 euro.

The OUIGO to Rennes is presently priced at 10Euro from Marne La Vallee, so it is cheap but if you go from CDG itself then the price is 50 Euro.  If your flight from Oz is late then you have lost your booking and the price you paid.

Sorry no image available
Posted by geegee42 - 3 years ago

I don't really know what the service is like although on the coach website it states less seats more space to stretch your legs, power sockets and WiFi and the prices are very good, the tgv side of the service I have no idea of but the prices are also very good.

Sorry no image available
Posted by Kanak - 3 years ago

hi angloaussie and gee-gee,  so I was wrong thinking it's just another booking system, because I have never seen these trains on the platform, but if they are an Sncf subsidiary 'ryan-air style' service (pay extra for bags, internet only, no personal desks, no buffet cars), I would be tempted to stick with regular Sncf which at least has a counter at CdG and will change your ticket when there are incidents on the line.    Enjoy your trip!

Sorry no image available
Posted by geegee42 - 3 years ago

Ouigo is the new low cost  arm of  SNCF, most of the trains run from Marne Le valley, they also run a low cost direct coach service, cheaper than the train, which departs from paris, you can book in advance via the website.

Sorry no image available
Posted by sonnetpete - 3 years ago

Sorry, I haven't been on a French train in over 10 years, however you may find the Wikipedia entry for OUIGO informative :

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ouigo

...and an article from the Telegraph :

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/travelnews/9882403/New-low-cost-train-service-launched-in-France.html

If the train times are not going to mesh you may want to consider flying from CDG to Rennes

Sorry no image available
Posted by Angloaussie2 - 3 years ago

It seems easy enough to book a train with OUIGO, Even 3 months ahead. it doesn't have to be on the day, the issue seems to be the lack of direct trains!! Unfortunately, no one so far seems to have experience of OUIGO trains?

Sorry no image available

Thanks for your insight but difficult for us to pop into a station when we're In Australia.

Sorry no image available

We are hoping to avoid the stress of having to move from one Paris station to another (with the clock ticking!) so are only looking at direct trips,

Sorry no image available
Posted by Busterboy - 3 years ago

There are a lack of trains direct from the airport!

If you can get to PARIS MONTPARNASSE there are frequent trains throught to RENNES!

Sorry no image available
Posted by DN-434538 - 3 years ago

Sorry, in that I am not answering your query directly. We have had some experience of using the TGV from Rennes to CDG for long haul flights. We found the timings non user friendly for most flights and required an overnigt hotel at the airport to work. On another ocassion delay to the flight back meant that the cheap prebooked SNCF ticket was invalid and we had to purchase a walk up full fare very expensive ticket for a train and had a substantial delay.

Our solution on our last trip to Australia was to drive and leave the car in a long stay car park and had a hotel overnight on the outbound. One months parking with onepark was 80 euros, this was in a hotel car park in Villepinte one stop from the airport via RER. (10 minutes). The Premiere Classe hotel was 32 Euro for the night.

This gave us the convenience of having our car available when we returned, thankfully we had made this arrangment as the flight was 12 hours late, and we would have missed all the trains, stayed overnight and had to again book a hotel at walk up prices as well as walk up fares for the TGV.

I do appreciate many do not want to drive after such a long flight but it worked for us and train bookings would have failed totally because of the delay.

We are planning on the same arrangement for our next trip.