DISCUSSIONS

Find the answers to many of your expat questions here

View Latest Posts

You're missing out...

As a member you can enjoy exclusive info and offers.

REGISTER NOW

Ploughing season has begun ..

Posted by bretonlion - Created: 3 years ago
0 0
Sorry no image available

10 replies (Showing replies: 1 to 10)

Sorry no image available
Posted by wilbur-810159 - 3 years ago

At one time there were coal mines in UK and France, Now there aren't because Coal could be bought cheaper else where and not enough people cared.

At some time in the future when TTIP does come into play unless you are minimum 250 Ha you will not be a farmer in Europe because it will all be available cheaper elsewhere,and not enough people care

You either free trade or don't trade.Because not enough people care.

Ultimately BMW Renault etc will hold more sway than a 20 Ha farmer, and they will want to sell in the US and China.

And, your representtives in Brussels want their pension.

Sorry no image available
Posted by Fizzbomb-892531 - 3 years ago

Last week I was in England and staying on my son-in-law's farm.  Each day he left for work at 6.30 am and we were lucky to see him home by mid-night.  During harvest this is the norm.  Farming is jolly hard work.

I have always lived in the country, but many people moved to France for the peace and quiet of the countryside, as do people in the UK.  What we all need to remember is that the countryside is not a chocolate box picture, it's a working landscape, a food factory and it's there for our benefit.  There is no such thing as cheap food, or cheap anything else for that matter.  Someone somewhere always pays for us to have cheap commodities.  In the case of farming it's the farmers that pay the price.  I will echo the plea of someone else on this thread, use farmers' markets and buy local produce. 

More and more farmers are giving up through utter despair, and who can blame them, but ask yourselves this, would you rather be surrounded by field or housing estates as this is what many of the farms are being sold for.

Sorry no image available
Posted by smudge1949 - 3 years ago

very well put farmingbrittany.

Sorry no image available
Posted by mightymimi-923305 - 3 years ago

Our house is surrounded by farming land, corn, wheat, hey, sometimes cows.  Farmers are hard working people.  I said to one of the farmer (he didn't look like he had invented hot water) that in the fall our chemin was covered by mud from the tractors.  He said to me:  Why did you move to the country, you should have thought about that.  He was right, gave me a different look at things.  Same for those who complain about the smell... That comes with it... in the country :):)

I'd rather have the smell of manure than of gasoline fumes

Mimi

Sorry no image available
Posted by Yellowperill - 3 years ago

Absolutley A fair price is needed for food but the solution to that is in the hands of everyone. shoppers ,supermarkets and suppliers and the EU. fully agree with that, "go into a coop and share costs", I think you mean we can have our buying costs deffered untill harvest time but its not free there is a percentage to pay for the deffered payments, the cost is then deducted at source by the coop, I think this argument has gone on long enough hence this is my last post on the subject but as a closing statement if it rains at the wrong time we can loose a whole crop if its to dry our yeild is less if the yeild is good our price is reduced, oh and not many builders own a telescopic, whether your a builder or a farmer we all need to earn a living please stop thinking because we get subsidy we are all loaded if we all stopped farming where would the world be and finally (yes really) very few farmers farm for money to most its a way of life a labour of love and a tradition on the whole farmers dont work to live they live to work;  have a nice day.

Sorry no image available
Posted by kervéor - 3 years ago

A builder has to buy land ,buy materials also tools ( not expensive in comparison I know ) and plant which can be aTelescopic in not cheap! Also wages and cotisations with no subsidies .A farmer can go into a co op and share costs ,hire plant .Land is also alot more expensive with PP .Less here I will admit .New Zealand I believe stopped the primes about 10 years ago .In the end we all pay for them i. our taxes .A fair price is needed for food but the solution to that is in the hands of everyone. shoppers ,supermarkets and suppliers and the EU.

Sorry no image available
Posted by Yellowperill - 3 years ago

Smallholding farm no comparrison, and as for your comment as much forwards investment for a builder as a farmer!! not likely, Farmer no garantee at all apart from subsidy so lets say a average family run farm say 150 hectares mum dad and son, just 2 average tractors set them back 160K another 100K for a bit of equipment behind tractor and by the way 100K for equipment gets you nothing, feed costs, seed and fertiliser all add up,  what small builder has to lay that out as forward investment?  there is no comparrison between a builder and farmer each have there own issues each are equally needed but also each has to live.

Sorry no image available
Posted by kervéor - 3 years ago

I have lived on the countryside for 47 years 23 of them in France ,have also had a smallholding here ,so I think I know just a bit of how things work .

Sorry no image available
Posted by rosby - 3 years ago

It is so frustrtating how many people  comment negatively on here with no understanding of... the true realitiesof  life in the country... the plight of farmers.... the nature of the EU and the much discussed subsidies and the killer social charges.     Rural life not disney land!  

Sorry no image available
Posted by Drum1 - 3 years ago

If anyone has the time, please watch the TTIP public talk given by David Malone. It's very revealing and may encourage you to find out about what Monsanto has been doing in Canada. You may also be interested in the european wide TTIP actions in October. YouTube - Death of democracy. Also 'what is TTIP?'