Find the answers to many of your expat questions here

View Latest Posts

You're missing out...

As a member you can enjoy exclusive info and offers.


quadcopter (drone) regs?

Posted by GoneandDunit - Created: 4 years ago
0 0
Sorry no image available

5 replies (Showing replies: 1 to 5)

Sorry no image available
Posted by Motors-996018 - 3 years ago

A friend of mine has CAA approval for Ariel work in the UK, do you know, Crazyherb if that would permit him to work in France?

Sorry no image available
Posted by GoneandDunit - 3 years ago

Thanks for the info.

Yes I'm still interested, I managed to aquire a Walkera Scout X4 for £100 complete with camera, F12 and add on external screen. The guy I bought it from had completely screwed up the settings and just wanted to get rid of it. I joined a forum and managed to correct the problems he had created plus I updated the GPS receiver.

I live in a quiet country location and have no intention of flying for profit etc.

I am a complete novice and have so far only flown it twice, both times I landed badly but nothing broke :)


Sorry no image available
Posted by crazyherb - 3 years ago

I fly a drone commercially (legally) in France and  yes it is highly regulated..and not reglated as a toy!! Drone use is regulated by the DGAC ie the french CAA

Firstly It depends whether or not you wish to fly commercially...ie do you intend to charge for your services;

(BTW The gendarmerie are not the people to ask, you will find all the regulations on the DGAC website)

If you are flying privately for fun then it  is permitted providing you fly:

Less than 150m alt
Away from population and airfields
Not at night
Away from sensitive areas
always in view
Don't infringe peoples privacy...
And not for hire or reward.



However when you start to fly for reward, such as taking aerial video of propertys etc, then things get much more regulated.

The rules are complex but in a nutshell:

-Your drone needs to be DGAC homologated (ie type approved)
-the pilot must have received approved training and hold at least the theory part of the microlight pilots licence.
-There are various scenarios S1 to S4 the ones that apply to drones are most commonly S1 over non populeted area and S3 over a populated area.
You need to supply the french civil aviation authourities with details of your business, flying skills,theory exams, maintenence schedule in document form which they hold on file...the MAP
You need to file a flight plan with the prefecture  for any flights over a populated area in that department (for S3). This used to be a yearly demand but since the idiots flying unregulated drones over Paris they have changed this so that you have to file a flight plan and apply for permission for each mission!
Did i mention that in a populated area your drone can only be up to 2Kgs without a parachute and 4kgs with.
Finally you'll need to fork out about the 350€ a year on minimum 3rd party insurance. About 700+ if you want to insure the drone and camera.

Still interested!!!!!



Sorry no image available
Posted by Pushkin-986745 - 4 years ago

As yet they are still only regulated as a radio controlled toy , there are some prosecutions going on for spying as in over the wall stuff and Paparazi so new rules will definetly come in ..

Sorry no image available
Posted by Fitter - 4 years ago

Due to the recent incidents in Paris and around various nuclear facilities involving drones I would imagine that the authorities are quite rightly very twitchy about drones.

Ask your local gendarmerie?