DISCUSSIONS

Find the answers to many of your expat questions here

View Latest Posts

You're missing out...

As a member you can enjoy exclusive info and offers.

REGISTER NOW

Solar Eclipse

Posted by blancmange-428893 - Created: 3 years ago
0 0
Sorry no image available

9 replies (Showing replies: 1 to 9)

Sorry no image available
Posted by LRV24 - 3 years ago

Use a sextant.

Sorry no image available
Posted by blancmange-428893 - 3 years ago

Thank you, I shall toodle off to LeClerc in Loudeac on Thursday and hope that they have some

Sorry no image available
Posted by Fitter - 3 years ago

A very old, safe method is to look at the reflection of the eclipse in the surface of a pail of water.

Sorry no image available
Posted by junkanoo - 3 years ago

Hi

When I was at grammar school in the 60s, there was an eclipse of the sun. The chemistry master got hold of pieces of broken window glass which he then "smoked" in the flame of a candle. The pieces of smoked glass were then handed out for us to use to view the eclipse.

My eyes survived the experience but it would probably be rather imprudent to use the same technique today.

Cheers

Sorry no image available
Posted by Anonymous - 3 years ago

I should think Google would turn up dozens of methods of viewing an eclipse.  I recall one about using a box with a pinhole in it (?) and you aligned it somehow and watched a projected image of the sun on the inside of the box.  A bit Blue Peter maybe but it was safe.

Sorry no image available
Posted by Renard35 - 3 years ago

Saw them on sale in our local village Pharmacie today :)

Sorry no image available
Posted by Tryval - 3 years ago

Le Clerc 2€, saw them today. Hope the sky is clear, BTW, a partial eclipse is a very special experience. Bill.

Sorry no image available
Posted by Tryval - 3 years ago

Le Clerc 2€, saw them today. Hope the sky is clear, Bill.

Sorry no image available
Posted by Kanak - 3 years ago

It is never really safe to look directly at the sun.  If my memories are correct, last time,  (was it 2011 or 2010?),  all the shops had dark specs, and in the end, the partial eclipse was like any other cloudy day, because you really need a total eclipse to block out all the light.