DISCUSSIONS

Find the answers to many of your expat questions here

View Latest Posts

You're missing out...

As a member you can enjoy exclusive info and offers.

REGISTER NOW

Stamps and the Post

Posted by kellyorchard - Created: 3 years ago
0 0
Sorry no image available

7 replies (Showing replies: 1 to 7)

Sorry no image available
Posted by Huey-407259 - 3 years ago

If you go to the La Poste site you can download the costs and values etc.

Some time sice we left UK, but my understanding is the 2 systems are much the same, with a price advantage in France.

Like 1st, 2nd etc, the stamps are not priced because they are good for ages at the current charge

Sorry no image available
Posted by kellyorchard - 3 years ago

I've used 2 X red stamps on a light letter to the UK.  I did put a return address on the back.  I hope they get there?!

Sorry no image available
Posted by Rudge - 3 years ago

I really had no idea the postal system to Uk was so complex, and used colour coded stamps, but I am beginning to find out , with comments from postal staff, that they do not understand their  own over complex system . I post around 4 or 5 letters a week to the UK, and 2 or 3 parcels . 

Because I can acces s a PO, they just weigh the letters etc, and attach the stamps /labels as needed. I have asked for stamps for a basic letter back to UK , and they give me green stamps , costing 68c.............I had a download of 2015 postage charges e-mailed to me from a helpful PO staff official , I weigh items on digital scales before handing them over the counter , many times prices do not agree. I think the French postal tariffs are too much for a general undrstanding .

Sorry no image available
Posted by salsachica - 3 years ago

The red stamps are for faster priority delivery and only within France. Green stamps for non urgent mail within France. For postage to the UK, europe and anywhere international eg USA then you need the blue ones and the same principal applies. Its best to weigh your card/letter and if less than 20g then 1 stamp will suffice if 30g then 2 stamps, 44g 3 stamps and so on. 

You can buy postage online which will be 5% cheaper and you print off your own pre-paid address label. There's even a tutorial video and picture steps. Even this technophobe here has mastered it! 

http://www.laposte.fr/particulier

Info about the correct stamps to use in English here: http://brittany.angloinfo.com/information/housing/post-codes/

Sorry no image available
Posted by Iguana Rock - 3 years ago

I always print mine onto Avery labels direct from La Poste website.

Sorry no image available
Posted by kellyorchard - 3 years ago

Thank you

Sorry no image available
Posted by Reveuse-918439 - 3 years ago

Well I just bought a bought stamp for Europe and it cost just under a euro. So you need red stamps up to that value, however the red stamps I have in my purse don't say a value on them.