DISCUSSIONS

Find the answers to many of your expat questions here

View Latest Posts

You're missing out...

As a member you can enjoy exclusive info and offers.

REGISTER NOW

UK Passport Renewal - Advice Needed

Posted by RedRock-980501 - Created: 3 years ago
0 0
Sorry no image available

9 replies (Showing replies: 1 to 9)

Sorry no image available
Posted by Live&Love - 3 years ago

Do it on the UK passport site. we did all ours last month they run out in June but only took two weeks from the date I sent the passports to them being returned.

Sorry no image available
Posted by grannydot-403561 - 3 years ago

Make sure that you do it on the official passport site, and not on one of the agency sites that offer to do it for you.... At a cost.  Mine was just a renewal, which after looking at the site beforehand I found not at all stressful.  If you start with the right option, and read the questions properly, not as I ofter do skip  through them fast  it is explained at the end what documents you need. Mine was back in no time, but don't leave it to the last minute, because you don't loose any validity time from the expiry date of the old one.

good luck red rock. Enjoy your glass or two. Only took me one. Lol

Sorry no image available
Posted by Pushkin-986745 - 3 years ago

They are all farmed out now anyway , took 2 months to get one for one our girls so she missed her school trip ..

Sorry no image available
Posted by RedRock-980501 - 3 years ago

Thanks Garethe,

I thinks may have been complicated in their bid for a 'simplified system' since they introduced biometric passports since my old one was issued.

I'll just gather up all the info needed and settle in with a glass (or two) of wine, a debit card and plough through the website. I guess I was hoping for a 'shortcut' that doesn't exist.

Thanks to all, 

regards

AndrewJ

Sorry no image available
Posted by garethe - 3 years ago

i had to rplace a stolen passport some years back. Important to notify the UKPA of the fact that your old one is stolen or lost. Application was pretty straight forward, but yes i did need to present everything and fill everything. Dont know if its easier as its a bit more electronic these days, these days they could even ask you to attend an interview!

Sorry no image available

Hi Pushkin,

Ah, Dusseldorf. If I were a little younger I'd probably lost it on the Hinter der Bahndamm, or someone closer when I was based in Hohne (ex Armoured Engineer).

They've changed things recently apparently; my last passport was issued in Paris and I just spent the afternoon in a bar next to the Consulate; it wasn't too 'stressful' hic!

I don't need to get back to the UK in a hurry, so just looking for a 'take as long as you like' replacelent/renewal.

Nice to meet you and thank you.

regards

AndrewJ 

Sorry no image available
Posted by Pushkin-986745 - 3 years ago

I did mine in Sarayevo in 93 to get home back to France , was done in 24 hours and I had nothing as mine was blown up . The last one I did in Dusseldorf (Germany for the thickies) and again only needed the basic info and a foto as I had lost mine . Don't see the problem ??

Sorry no image available

Thanks skrd23,

You obviously don't fall into the category of someone who  "Has applied for a replacement/renewal passport, whilst not sending in the old one?" but at least you didn't suggest I 'Google it'.

I can phone, I can 'Google' all without the help of a 'grown-up', I just thought I would ask if, specifically;

"Has anyone applied for a replacement/renewal passport, whilst not sending in the old one?"

Any other replies, whilst kind, will only end up with this thread 'morphing' into Bacon In A Box, Pylons, Wind Farms or the need for me to learn French before moving to France.

No offence intended; thank you for replying,

regards

AndrewJ

Sorry no image available
Posted by skrd23 - 3 years ago

phone them up and ask them but the answer is probably yes you will need them