DISCUSSIONS

Find the answers to many of your expat questions here

View Latest Posts

You're missing out...

As a member you can enjoy exclusive info and offers.

REGISTER NOW

Visit to Rennes

Posted by LilyP - Created: 4 years ago
0 0
Sorry no image available

6 replies (Showing replies: 1 to 6)

Sorry no image available
Posted by Karen-381938 - 3 years ago

The park and ride is so easy to use that we've never felt the need to go into the centre to park, or to use the mainline train. The car parks are open from about 5am to the early hours of the morning but shut on Sundays and usually on bank holdays

All the city travel information is run by Star . If you look at their website under "parc relais" it will give you information about locations and opening hours for the car parks and under "metro" you will find details of routes and prices of the trains (there is also an all day ticket available) The trains run every few minutes and take you right into the centre of the city.

As DN says, if you use the park and ride, keep your metro ticket to exit the car park free of charge. it isn't always needed but best to safe.

Sorry no image available
Posted by mmzz - 4 years ago

there is parking in the centre, ive always found a spot without too much trouble. My daughter and her partner used the park and ride, it took them hours to find their car again. the moral is to make sure you know where youve parked

Sorry no image available
Posted by georgeV-988991 - 4 years ago

Most cities sell a ticket which is valid for travel on the full network within 60 mintes of the ticket being stamped in the machine at the entrance to the platforms or bus.  Hence a one hour ticket.  In Rennes the one hour ticket is presently €1,50.

There are parking limits in the Metro car parks as they all close at night and you cannot leave your car overnight.

Sorry no image available
Posted by BURCHY-423214 - 4 years ago

Hi

Trains run everyday from Pontorson to Rennes. It is the service from Caen to Rennes.

The one we use several times a year is the 0915 from Pontorson which arrives Rennes 1003 with one stop at Dol de Bretagne. There is a train back from Rennes between 1600 and 1700. All details are on  http://www.ter.sncf.com/basse-normandie.

Fares depend on so many variables such as age etc. We are over 60 so get a good discount. I seem to remember we pay about €18 return.

The young lady in the ticket office at Pontorson is quite helpful and does speak some English if necessary as it the nearest station to Mont St Michel after all.

An alternative is the bus service from Pontorson to Rennes but it takes a while but would be the cheapest I guess. I think it is run by a company called Illenno as they pass regularly through our village from Pontorson. Website   -  http://www.illenoo-services.fr

Personally I prefer the train and it a nice 15-20 mins walk to the centre of Rennes at a leisurely pace!!

Hope this of help to you

Sorry no image available
Posted by LilyP - 4 years ago

DN - thanks for this - please could you explain the "one hour"?

Apologies for being a little thick!

Sorry no image available
Posted by DN-434538 - 4 years ago

Park and ride is free for the parking, but you pay for the metro ticket. You have to show a used metro ticket, used that day, when you exit the parking. Metro in Rennes, last time I used it was 1.20 per person for a one hour ticket.