DISCUSSIONS

Find the answers to many of your expat questions here

View Latest Posts

You're missing out...

As a member you can enjoy exclusive info and offers.

REGISTER NOW

Calling out a Doctor

Posted by Yaddlethorpe Crossroads - Created: 3 years ago
0 0
Sorry no image available

10 replies (Showing replies: 1 to 10)

Sorry no image available
Posted by Kanak - 3 years ago

in fact, you pay the 1euro forfait whichever doctor you consult, but if you choose one who is not your médecin traitant, the base for reimbursement  by the secu drops to 30%.

Sorry no image available
Posted by CharlotteM-441068 - 3 years ago

Hi Yaddlethorpe Crossroads - you really do sound in need of help.  Usually French GPs will come out, but not if you aren't in their area.  It really is worth trying to find a GP in your own area, preferably who speaks English willingly..  It isn't like in England, you can visit another doctor if you wish, so no problem in trying a doctor out before you transfer your registration.  The only difference is about 1 euro on what you have re-imbursed. There must be a reason foryour problems so do please keep asking for help.

Sorry no image available
Posted by Yaddlethorpe Crossroads - 3 years ago

Have been to my Doctor and have had an MRI Scan (Christmas time 2014) - nothing showed up.  I asked the Dr if she would come out and the answer was NO as I live too far away from the Surgery  I called into the local Pharmacy and they said there was a Doctor who spoke in English - was told originally that he did not!! so on the information given will try and ascertain if he does actually speak English before I change etc.  Yes, still having bad headaches but will start my new medication before I retired to bed tonight.  i have had a full dental scan - nofthing showed up but erring on caution will be seeing my Dentist next month.   I have never been a sick person but for the last 6 months it has been hell and I have been really depressed and down in the dumps.

Sorry no image available
Posted by LRV24 - 3 years ago

112 is the EU wide emergency services phone number. It works alongside the national numbers, for example in Britain 112 and 999 reach the same operators. It's only magic quality is the ability to be used on a mobile phone that is barred or SIM locked, it does not take you to an English speaking person. As the emergency number it should not be used to facilitate an appointment with a doctor.

Sorry no image available
Posted by teatime-972181 - 3 years ago

Your doctor will visit you during surgery times and usually has certain days when he or she will visit. The price will be around €40 but check with your surgery, just write a note using an online translator and send it in to them. They will understand.

If you need an emergency you can apparently telephone 112 on a landline  and ask for someone to speak english.

Perhaps someone on this forum would be willing to write out a list of your questions in French for you and then you can take them to your Mairie and ask for help. I am sure someone would be willing to source the answers and write them out and then you can get then translated into English. Good luck and get well soon.

Sorry no image available
Posted by walnut72 - 3 years ago

we were re imbursed 100% through cpam/mutuel

Sorry no image available
Posted by brionybob - 3 years ago

I had the same situation in England and went to my own doctor. They are able to check out basic things and point you in the right direection (i.e. serious or not). Mine turned out to be a problem requiring physio only. Hope yours is as simple.

Sorry no image available
Posted by kathyd2 - 3 years ago

I might be wrong, but I'm fairly sure our doctor has a price up for home visits along with other prices on his wall... Would it be worth contacting your doctor's surgery to ask about it?

Sorry no image available
Posted by walnut72 - 3 years ago

just to add, all pharmacies have medecin de gard no. usually on therir doors.

ask your french friend to write a simple list of phrases to allow you to call out any emergency sevice, for all expats arriving it should be close to the top of your to do list! keep it by your phone

If you have a landline and you call the emergency services, they quickly know where you are and I am sure will come even if you just manage a few words

112 on your mobile will access multilingual service for emergency

Sorry no image available
Posted by CharlotteM-441068 - 3 years ago

Why not think in terms of getting yourself to your nearest A & E department were it can be investigated properly.  If you regularly have these severe headaches they need investigating.  Calling out a doctor can be very expensive as can caling emergency services.  Maybe when you don't have a headache your could get your neighbour to take you to your doctor and ask him to have it investigated. If your doctor doesn't speak English then I would suggest you find one that does, I'm sure loads of people here will be able to recommend one.  Pleaase don't just leave this as it could be something serious