DISCUSSIONS

Find the answers to many of your expat questions here

View Latest Posts

You're missing out...

As a member you can enjoy exclusive info and offers.

REGISTER NOW

cancer

Posted by boyirish - Created: 3 years ago
0 0
Sorry no image available

8 replies (Showing replies: 1 to 8)

Sorry no image available
Posted by Karen-381938 - 3 years ago

Agree wholeheartedly with Les Rouges; similarly if you have a family history of this type of cancer, you should speak to your GP and will probably be offered a coloscopie, bypassing the DIY tests, which happened in my case, even though I have no symptoms

But bear in mind that colo-rectal cancers take up to 10 years to develop and you may not get symptoms until it is well advanced. The DIY tests can pick up irregularities very early on when something can easily be done so please make sure you do them if they are sent to you. It can save an awful lot of heartache down the line

Karen

Sorry no image available
Posted by Les Rouges - 3 years ago

These kits may be useful if you have no reason to suspect that you might have a problem. However if you have any worrying symptoms, don't use them as a diagnostic tool, go to your doctor and tell him what is bothering you. My husband did one of these tests, it was negative, but he had bowel cancer. 

Sorry no image available

You go to your gp to get the kit We just ask the receptionist but some doctors may want to see you

Sorry no image available
Posted by Dungey1 - 3 years ago

We have had our letters for a while and had them 2 years ago but didn't do anything with them. What do we have to do with the letter to get the kit ?

Sorry no image available
Posted by kathyd2 - 3 years ago

Briefly - you're meant to stick the paper thing to the loo seat, poo on it and then wipe the dip stick through the poo. Then put the stick back in the bottle, shake the bottle (it has a drop of liquid in it) and seal tightly.  At the risk of being a bit graphic, I can't cope with the paper thing so I just use loo paper to wipe as normal and dip the stick in that instead.  Make sure you stick all the relevant labels etc on and return in the envelope provided.  You should hear back from them fairly quickly with your results.

Sorry no image available

There are clear instructions in the pack - even if you don't speak French they are pictorial and fairly clear but if you're having trouble pm me and I will translate it for you. I have got the pack in front of me as we just picked up my husband's from the doctor this morning.

Karen

Sorry no image available
Posted by phlophf-409902 - 3 years ago

I have sent you a personal message....(and yes its for womwn too)

Sorry no image available
Posted by kathyd2 - 3 years ago

I think  you'll find women use it too ;).  Are you having problems with it?