DISCUSSIONS

Find the answers to many of your expat questions here

View Latest Posts

You're missing out...

As a member you can enjoy exclusive info and offers.

REGISTER NOW

cancer colorectal test advice please

Posted by Iguana Rock - Created: 3 years ago
0 0
Sorry no image available

10 replies (Showing replies: 1 to 10)

Sorry no image available
Posted by Rosey B-99102 - 3 years ago

thanks for that Iguanarock - I shall take ours into the chemist on our next visit - it's funny that the issuing agency didn't suggest it - our doctor is so overworked that it seems really unfair to burden her with unnecessary visits - anyway, it's good to know that the new test is so much more precise (I've heard there were a lot of false positives before) and it's very simple to do, as before.

Sorry no image available
Posted by Iguana Rock - 3 years ago

Update. 

We just took the letter to our local Pharmacy and she gave us the kit. She explained what you had to do as well although the accompanying brochure showed it quite clearly (and hubby found it online too). We didn't even have to show our Carte Vitale cards.

Sorry no image available

I've finally got round to calling Vitalis, so this is the up to date situation: the new testing regime has been running for nearly a year and there have been no false positives at all so far - the test is more precise than previously. If you ignore the letter, another will be sent to you in 6 months, automatically. When you visit the doctor, you should take the letter with you - just like it says.  You don't need to make a special visit unless, obviously, you think you might actually have cancer and want to get checked out. They won't be sending kits through the post anymore.

Sorry no image available
Posted by sunshinedays - 3 years ago

My husband was found to hve polyps which he then had removed. His father had colon cancer and died from it so if he hadn't received the letter the polyps may have become cancerous. 

Sorry no image available
Posted by lottie13-403657 - 3 years ago

whether your doc agrees with the test or not is irrelevant, he cant refuse. Please take the test.My husband has stage 4 , wish he'd had the test

Sorry no image available
Posted by grumposgirl - 3 years ago

Its written very politely - does it matter how its written , just pop into your Dr and collect a kit , if it finds something you will be grateful you did. Stop making a huge issue of something that isnt - get letter , collect kit , send it off .

Sorry no image available

So why don't they just tell us to take the letter to the doctor? If they don't mean 'on your next visit?' why on earth do they say it? It's all academic for us anyway, since our doctor's just thrown in the towel. Thanks for your help anyway.

Sorry no image available
Posted by Dave Evans-439024 - 3 years ago

My wife had none of the "classic" symptoms of bowel cancer except that once she saw blood in her stools. No urges for the loo, no cramps or stomach pains etc. However, she was succesfully treated for it years ago in England. In the UK you are told that even a negative test for blood in faeces does not mean you HAVEN'T got cancer!

Dave

Sorry no image available
Posted by lottie13-403657 - 3 years ago

if they arent doing the tests as routine anymore why are they still sending out the letters. surely if it catches it early it is worth it.

Sorry no image available
Posted by PamandAndrew-390752 - 3 years ago

Our doctor told us that after 15-20 years of carrying out the tests that they've found it hasn't reduced the rate of this type of cancer at all and, in fact, the invasive surgery that sometimes follows a positive test causes more problems than it prevents. He told us that the tests won't routinely be done anymore, you can ask if you have family history or simply prefer to be tested. Don't take this as fact, just what we've been told and may have got it wrong...