DISCUSSIONS

Find the answers to many of your expat questions here

View Latest Posts

You're missing out...

As a member you can enjoy exclusive info and offers.

REGISTER NOW

CPAM cover

Posted by petdon-421154 - Created: 3 years ago
0 0
Sorry no image available

10 replies (Showing replies: 1 to 10)

Sorry no image available
Posted by Mr Oleo Strut - 3 years ago

You make very good points, geegee42.

Sorry no image available

You can look up your local Prefecture website, dozygirl, to find out what the residence arrangements are now for both EU and non-EU people. That should give you an indication of what might happen. I try not to scaremonger, after all there are enough doing that already, especially in the UK and on the media. I think that this whole business has been very badly handled by Cameron and he has seriously marginalised himself and the UK at a time when there are far more important EU problems. But that is just my view.

Sorry no image available
Posted by geegee42 - 3 years ago

I don't think anyone has any idea whatsoever of what would happen if the UK left, the Irish, welsh and scots want to stay in, there are hundreds of thousands of EU migrant workers in the UK, a lot of whom are there because the labour is not available in the UK, banks and big companies say if the UK leaves we have no plans to leave, then you hear that emails have been leaked involving banks and big companies plans to leave the UK in the event of a leave vote, but whatever happens I would have thought that if you make a living here or are of independent means then its unlikely you will be asked to leave. The biggest problem I think is the being in the club but doing exactly what we like bit, I think it's either in or completely out end of all trade agreements, a stand alone UK left to get on with it, bit like before they joined, one minute never had it so good, next minute down the swany and pleading to get back in.

Sorry no image available
Posted by dozygirl - 3 years ago

Nothing quite like a bit of scare-mongering Mr Oleo Strut.  Do you have a link to this information or, is it as you say, "as far as you know"?

Sorry no image available

Good advice on all sides and no need to panic. In the event of a Brexit, as far as I know if you have been resident in France legally for 10 years or more  the French constitution gives you the right to permanent residence, and IF your free pensioner CPAM health cover IS withdrawn you would either have to take out private health insurance (admittedly very expensive for those with pre-existing conditions) or pay 8% of your annual income for CPAM cover, so all is not lost. Other concerns in the event of a Brexit might be a major decline in the strength of sterling and possible retaliation from certain elements both in the UK and here. It is all very worrying but by no means as black a picture as it could be. This is all worst-case stuff and hopefully common sense will prevail but I am sure that the French would not want to loose their tax-paying and well-integrated foreign 'long-term' guests!

Sorry no image available
Posted by Kernowboy-10061199 - 3 years ago

How can anyone on this forum possibly advise on your question? Opinions, yes, you will get lots of those but can we tell you if you will get healthcare from CPAM? It's not us on this forum you need to be asking so don't make any decisions based on advice you get here, well not on this subject.

Sorry no image available
Posted by berger-423858 - 3 years ago

Should Britain leave the EU, there would have to be agreements about health care for British people already living in EU countries and EU citizens living in Britain. Both groups moved to their new country in good faith under the freedom of movement provisions. The numbers involved are so large that the question would have to be resolved.

The vote has not yet been held and its outcome is hard to predict. I've written to a number of politicians in Britain and no one has said what would happen in the event of a Brexit, probably because they don't know.

I would strongly encourage anyone living here who will still  be eligible to vote in the EU referendum to register to vote, if they have not already done so.

Sorry no image available
Posted by lottie13-403657 - 3 years ago

Im not going to worry about this as there are so many non brit european living and working in the uk and getting healthcare, there would have to be a reciprocal agreement with all of their "home countries"

I think Cameron thought this would just be a stick to hit the eu with and I think it may be he has shot himself in the foot and it does look as if the "out" vote is gathering momentum.

Sorry no image available
Posted by geegee42 - 3 years ago

Why thanks Mr Cameron?, he wants in not out, do the Swiss who live in France need a carte de séjour, they are part of the Schengen zone but not EU members, how is their healthcare dealt with when living in France?.

Sorry no image available
Posted by Tregadilet - 3 years ago

It appears  the that Brexit will  be voted for and will happen, for those in France or Europe, it will mean those in France will have to apply for a "Carte de Sejour" unless they taken  French nationality and the same for those in Italy, Spain, Portugal. It will be only a matter of time before before EU healthcare ends, It might mean a mass exit of Brits from Europe, sooner than later!

Thanks Mr Cameron