DISCUSSIONS

Find the answers to many of your expat questions here

View Latest Posts

You're missing out...

As a member you can enjoy exclusive info and offers.

REGISTER NOW

Eye test

Posted by lqe29a - Created: 3 years ago
0 0
Sorry no image available

5 replies (Showing replies: 1 to 5)

Sorry no image available
Posted by sunshinedays - 3 years ago

Yes you can have your eyes tested at the opticians. If you are happy paying the total price of your glasses then just go to the opticians as they cannot give you the paperwork to reclaim the cost, or at least part of it, like the ophthalmologist can.

Sorry no image available
Posted by JLJ-429896 - 3 years ago

I had an eye test at a high street opticians. It was free if I bought my glasses there. Seemed pretty thorough to me.

Sorry no image available
Posted by Watty-794352 - 3 years ago

As previously said, Opticiens are where you purchase glasses/lenses.

For eye tests you need to see an Ophtalmologue, who is an eye doctor.  You may have to make your appointment several months in advance   ...   not a problem for me; I just make a note on my calendar for the following year.  (Personally, I feel happier seeing an eye doctor, rather than an optician as in the UK, as I have a developing cataract and family history of glaucoma.)

I had an appointment last week which cost me under 10 euros   ...   that's with a Carte Vitale but without a Mutuelle. 

Sorry no image available
Posted by countrydweller - 3 years ago

You are probably etter off having one done in the UK cheaper too or if you have an S1 you can get it done on the NHS

Sorry no image available
Posted by dozygirl-10045474 - 3 years ago

I don't think a "High Street Optician" tests your eyes.  They only sell glasses.  It's not like the UK with the likes of Specsavers!