DISCUSSIONS

Find the answers to many of your expat questions here

View Latest Posts

You're missing out...

As a member you can enjoy exclusive info and offers.

REGISTER NOW

French Health System

Posted by mowmow - Created: 3 years ago
0 0
Sorry no image available

10 replies (Showing replies: 1 to 10)

Sorry no image available
Posted by orme2 - 3 years ago

OK countrydweller, I hadn't thought that people were talking about the CMUB.

Sorry no image available
Posted by Reveuse-918439 - 3 years ago

Yes but it's  a 2 edged sword.

If you are already in the system then you could apply for CMU-C if your income is below that level..

But you need to be in the system before you can apply, and in order to get into the system as a ressortisant EU, you need to prove that you have an income higher than that level.

It all comes back to the 'burden on the state' thing - in order to live here legally you have to show sufficient income etc etc. France doesn't let you rock up and say 'I want to live in France but can't afford to pay for my healthcare so give me CMU-C"'.

Sorry no image available
Posted by countrydweller - 3 years ago

Orme2

The link relates to CMU-C ie the state funded top up/help for those people on low incomes and relates ONLY to French nationals and expats who have an S1 or those expats who have been resident in France for 5 years.What we are discussing here is the right of inactifs who have not been here for 5 years   to join the CMU-B that is the basic system .My info as to income comes from a letter from CPAM Finistere outling the working out  my cotisations for the year to Sept 15.This base figure is reviewed annually and applied from Oct onwards after the review of each individuals circumstances and income are conducted following the issue of the Avis des Impots.

The whole idea of the review of incomes and the requirement for an albeit not onerous minimum is to ensure that inactifs are not a drain on resources-do not forget that the applicant is assessed and then the partner has an ayant droit therfore you are comparing two different calculations for two different regimes.

Sorry no image available

What is countrydweller, and where do they get their info from?  I got mine here:

http://www.ameli.fr/assures/soins-et-remboursements/cmu-et-complementaires-sante/cmu-complementaire/les-conditions-pour-en-beneficier.php

(scroll down for the figures per household).

Sorry no image available
Posted by kervéor - 3 years ago

According to countrydweller 9601 € per household to not be a burden on health service .

Sorry no image available

With that amount, a two-person household would be eligible for CMUC, and possibly other benefits (reduced phone bills etc).

Sorry no image available
Posted by kervéor - 3 years ago

9601€ per household .

Sorry no image available

What income do you mean, kervéor?  The maximum amount you can earn to be eligible for CMUC depends on the household.  The ameli website says €8,645 for one person, €12,967 for two and so on.  This, of course, encompasses all income, whether from pension, salary, investments, selling stuff on the internet and so forth.

Sorry no image available
Posted by countrydweller - 3 years ago

Sorry if anyone thought I was being "aggressive" but when people are wrong it needs correcting with facts as it is important that newbies are helped and not given duff gen.Yes €9601 is not a lot to live on but that is what it says on the letter I have from CPAM setting out my cotisations and how they are calculated.This amount will be adjusted in Sept. And believe you me there are people in France struggling on these amounts but if they are french at least they get help

Sorry no image available
Posted by Reveuse-918439 - 3 years ago

Easy - if you also have savings you can dip into.