DISCUSSIONS

Find the answers to many of your expat questions here

View Latest Posts

You're missing out...

As a member you can enjoy exclusive info and offers.

REGISTER NOW

Health care for pensioners

Posted by pilot-425170 - Created: 3 years ago
0 0
Sorry no image available

10 replies (Showing replies: 1 to 10)

Sorry no image available
Posted by Reveuse-918439 - 3 years ago

The thresholds for CMU-C and help towards your mutuelle are here

http://www.cmu.fr/fichier-utilisateur/fichiers/Plafonds.pdf

In fact with the £ being quite strong against the euro this year, I don't think a couple on a full UK pension who own their own house would qualify for CMU-C. They may possibly be eligible for ACE.

At the end of the day, what you can afford and what you can't afford... comes down to priorities. 

Sorry no image available
Posted by HAF-443346 - 3 years ago

As posted they should be entitled to CMU

Sorry no image available
Posted by Wilbury Traveller - 3 years ago

If they join the AIKB in Gouarec there is help available in English.   The AIKB is akin to the Citizen's Advice Bureau, is a wealth of knowledge and will make all necessary phone calls.   www.aikb.fr

I feel sure that you will find practical help there.

 

Sorry no image available
Posted by pilot-425170 - 3 years ago

Thank you to everyone for your help and suggestions, I will pass the information on to our friends and I'm sure they will be very grateful.

Sorry no image available
Posted by countrydweller - 3 years ago

Check also that they are getting their pension free of tax from the UK andthis site may be helpful

www.britishinfrance.com

If either were in the forces the Royal British Legion could also help www.rblfrance.org

Sorry no image available
Posted by Anonymous - 3 years ago

Basic info available here.

And the official French site here.

I have tried over a period of time but my French isn't up to it.

Sorry no image available
Posted by Reveuse-918439 - 3 years ago

They should go to CPAM and apply for CMU-C. If their income is below the limit and they qualify for CMU-C, they'll get 100 per cent of costs reimbursed. If their income is not low enough for them to be eligible for 100 per cent cover, they may get help with paying towards a mutuelle. There is help available - but you have to ask for it.

Sorry no image available
Posted by pilot-425170 - 3 years ago

Thanks yes they did say that they can get 70% it's the remaining 30% thats the worry and problem for them! they tell us that they dont have the money to pay for the top up, and because of this they are now considering returning to the UK , and this seems such a pity as they really want to stay here in France.

Sorry no image available
Posted by JohnP-390097 - 3 years ago

Top up insurance is optional but adviseable especially as you get older. If they are UK pensioners they should have received an S1 from Newcastle which entitles them to free basic health cover here in France(approx 70%). Then  depending on their income, they may then be entitled to CMU cover or help towards the cost of a mutuel assurance(top-up insurance)

I would advise that once they have sorted out their basic cover, they make an appointment with the Assistance Social to find out if they are entitled to help with their top up cover. There is help out there but they have to seek it out, it will not come to them.

Sorry no image available
Posted by pilot-425170 - 3 years ago

Cant say definitely without asking which I will do when we next visit, but I believe that they do have a carte vitel.