DISCUSSIONS

Find the answers to many of your expat questions here

View Latest Posts

You're missing out...

As a member you can enjoy exclusive info and offers.

REGISTER NOW

Healthcare carte vitale new rules

Posted by Kevmerry - Created: 3 years ago
0 0
Sorry no image available

10 replies (Showing replies: 1 to 10)

Sorry no image available
Posted by suziepops - 3 years ago

Because up until July (I think) last year, early retirees and other people moving here were given S1's which would expire after a certain time.  Retirees did not come into this category.

Sorry no image available
Posted by steve the painter - 3 years ago

Just as I thought, Buster. But I was under the impression that you did not receive an S1 unless you were in receipt of an OAP pension. I just wondered why some remarks were made that their S1's had expired.

Sorry no image available
Posted by buster-784461 - 3 years ago

The S1 for an OAP doesnt expire!

Sorry no image available
Posted by steve the painter - 3 years ago

I wonder if someone could clarify some of the statements on this posting........I was under the impression that once you received your state (OAP) pension, you then also received, at the same time, your S1. When does it expire? I didn't think it did!!

Steve

Sorry no image available
Posted by blotto - 3 years ago

A quick update......

Yet another appointment with CPAM today, who played the 5-year residency card yet again.  When I produced a copy of the Circulaire, there was much sucking of teeth between the interviewer and a colleague, then they tried a different approach.  My S1 has expired but my wifes has not, why didn't I claim on her S1 as a beneficiary they asked?  I tried to tell them my S1 had expired, gave them the letter from DWP (in French) that stated that I was no longer covered by the UK, but no, I was asked to get another letter from DWP stating that my wife could not be a beneficiary.

A phone call to DWP revealed that it is perfectly possible for me to be a beneficiary of my wife's S1, and that DWP should have written to me in the past to advise me of this, given that our S1's did not expire at the same time.  Good news I suppose, another 8 months or so of health cover before we have to go through all of this again, but could have saved the 300 Euros it's cost for private insurance whilst this wrangling has been going on.

Sorry no image available

Thank you very much countrydweller, that's really helpful.  I've just phoned DWP and 2 copies of their standard letter are on their way (one in French, one in English).  I've also found and printed the Circulaire for future reference.  I'll update as and when (probably 2 weeks before we get the DWP letter). BTW, it was the CPAM in Ploermel.

Sorry no image available
Posted by countrydweller - 3 years ago

Yes it is a circular from the the French govt  Circulaire DSS/DACI/2011/ 225 dated 9 June 2011.If you google it then you should find it -print off a copy and take it along to CPAM.Be firm and insist that they process your applcation-they should send it off to a centre in Nimes which was set up to deal with applications from EU nationals.This follows a court case in which the french government lost in the European Union.If your French is not good enough take along a French speaker.

Forgot to add above you will need a letter from the DWP  Newcastle to say you are nolonger covered by the uk.Phone the Overseas Health Team on 0191 21 81999

As a matter of interest which CPAM office was it?

Sorry no image available

My S1 has now expired, so I went to CPAM this morning with all the required documents as per previous posts.  I was informed, politely but firmly, that there is a 5-year residence requirement for EU nationals before they can joing the CMU de Base, and was shown the relevant policy on a computer screen.  Strangely, the desk clerk also seemed to tell me that it's only 3 months for a non-EU national. 

Can anybody please help me find a policy document or statement that shows the 3-month rule?

Thanks in advance

Sorry no image available
Posted by countrydweller - 3 years ago

This is what you need to do and the admin steps to take to be accepted into the C MU in France

You need to be resident full time for at least 3 months in France

Go to your local CPAM office and take the following docs-passports birth certificates (long versions) proof of residency eg utility bills details of your French Bank(RIB) and proof of income-at this stage it will be your latest P60s for 2 years plus any pension documentation giving details of how much pension you will be getting.You will need an income in France of at least €9601 pa per householdYou will the pay 8% of your income above this figure .The CPAM office will take your application and send it off to a centre in Nimes and you should be accepted into the system;=.However this will take at least 3 months so in practical terms you are going to need private health insurance to cover you for the period until you are accepted into the system.You might find it useful to contact a firm called Medibroker in Newcastle  who arranged a pay monthly policy for me which you could cancel if you did not claim;After you have been accepted yo should get an attestation which you can take to your Dr etc and then you will get your Carte Vitale in due course.Every Sept you will then get a form to fill in asking for proof of income again usually your French Avis des Impots. Bonne chance

p

Sorry no image available
Posted by Kevmerry - 3 years ago

Thank you everyone for taking the time giving us this information, it's very appreciated

kind regards

kevin