Find the answers to many of your expat questions here

View Latest Posts

You're missing out...

As a member you can enjoy exclusive info and offers.


Just retired here need info on EHIC

Posted by ancient mariner-393410 - Created: 4 years ago
0 0
Sorry no image available

6 replies (Showing replies: 1 to 6)

Sorry no image available
Posted by enthuisiasm - 4 years ago

Hello, apply for your EHIC from the UK very important and top up insurance- worth every halfpenny. 

Sorry no image available
Posted by steverockers-392585 - 4 years ago

Sorry - exclusivehealthcare.com.

Sorry no image available
Posted by steverockers-392585 - 4 years ago

Hospital and other fees are enormous here.  It may not seem much to only have to find 30% but, if you are unfortunate and you need prolonged treatment, this could cost you thousands.  I would strongly advise buying top up - there is a huge choice so shop around.  You probably don't need more than 100% but I would go to 120% if you can afford it.  My partner is about to have her knee joints replaced and the surgeon has agreed to do the operations at the 100% rate.  In big cities and more affluent areas, you are more likely to be charged more than 100%.

If you want some idea of costs, I suggest you have a look at exclusivehealthcare.fr.  If you hunt around the site you should be able to find the tables with the costs of different schemes at different ages.

Sorry no image available
Posted by Field18 - 4 years ago

If you are in receipt of the UK state pension then you will have received an S1 to register with CPAM.

Once registered you will get the same healthcare cover as any other French resident. That is up to 70% funded by CPAM and the remained funded by yourself or a mutuelle.

This will be for normal healthcare such as doctor visits, dentist, medication etc. Most major operations and emergency treatment will be covered 100% by CPAM except a minimum of €18/day hospital charge. This will be for basic ward and no extras.

However any post operation care such as xrays, scans,physio, district nurse etc will still only be funded at 70% max by CPAM.

Because of the S1 the UK pays France all or most of your health care costs.

So as said byLRV24 it is up to the individual whether they bother to have "top up" insurance.

Sorry no image available
Posted by ancient mariner-393410 - 4 years ago

Great, thought that might be the case. Thank you for replying


Sorry no image available
Posted by LRV24 - 4 years ago

Do you mean top up insurance? That is your choice there have been many posts for and against posted on here, search the archives. If you have a CV on the basis of an S1 issued by the NHS that will give you the basic cover in France, a top up covers the difference between that and the actual costs. If you travel out of France but within Europe you will need an EHIC card, contact the NHS as they will provide that for you.