DISCUSSIONS

Find the answers to many of your expat questions here

View Latest Posts

You're missing out...

As a member you can enjoy exclusive info and offers.

REGISTER NOW

Knee Replacement Surgery

Posted by mobee - Created: 3 years ago
0 0
Sorry no image available

10 replies (Showing replies: 1 to 10)

Sorry no image available
Posted by hobbyvanman - 3 years ago

Thanks for the information I also rate French hospitals having had a heart attack four years ago while in Libourne in my camping car.  The treatment was unbeatable I am sure I would not be here today if I had been in Jersey or the UK.  What I wanted was a comment from someone who has had their knee replaced.  As I said the surgeon did not seem to rate the new knee,s and neither did my G P.

Thanks again

Dave

Sorry no image available
Posted by myrtle-391965 - 3 years ago

Had numerous operations in France and no complaints whatsoever.  one was for a replacement elbow which is rarely done over here, and the care and attention was amazing.  if you want to put up with the pain from you knee, then don't have the operation.  On the other hand - what do you have to lose?  

Sorry no image available
Posted by myrtle-391965 - 3 years ago

Had numerous operations in France and no complaints whatsoever.  one was for a replacement elbow which is rarely done over here, and the care and attention was amazing.  if you want to put up with the pain from you knee, then don't have the operation.  On the other hand - what do you have to lose?  

Sorry no image available
Posted by phlophf-409902 - 3 years ago

This info is provide by Arthritis research uk .

For 80–90% of people who have total knee replacement, the new joint should last about 20 years, and it may well last longer. If you've had a partial knee replacement, you're more likely to need a repeat operation – about 1 person in 10 needs further surgery after 10 years.

As far as French hospitals are  concerned in my opinion there is nowhere better, and although I know there are some here that will not agree, this has been my experience

Sorry no image available
Posted by hobbyvanman - 3 years ago

Hello

I am in need of a knee replacement but I am worried about the stories of bad results.  The surgeon has said sometimes you can end up with a worse knee than the old one and the replacements do not last about ten years is normal.  Can anybody report back on their own knee replacements so I can decide what to do carry on and limp in pain or take a chance on surgery.  I am in Jersey but a report on French hospitals would be useful.

Thanks for your time

Dave

Sorry no image available
Posted by mobee - 3 years ago

Thanks to all of you for the replies to my query, much appreciated. 

Sorry no image available
Posted by Dibbyspot - 3 years ago

Do not worry about the location it is far more important that the specialsit doing  this procedure has a lot of frequent experience. This outweighs anything else. Always worth travelling if needed for the epxert in their field.

Sorry no image available
Posted by phlophf-409902 - 3 years ago

had mine done in the new hospital recently

http://www.hopital.fr/annuaire-service/chirurgie-othopedique-et-traumatologique-chcb-site-de-kerio-pontivy/2141

Sorry no image available
Posted by dabbityduck-384379 - 3 years ago

Yes - a French friend of ours had his knees done at the Polyclinique 3 or 4 years back

Sorry no image available
Posted by lqe29a - 3 years ago

A neighbour had 2 hip replacements at the Polyclinic at Pontivy, so they must do knees aswell.