DISCUSSIONS

Find the answers to many of your expat questions here

View Latest Posts

You're missing out...

As a member you can enjoy exclusive info and offers.

REGISTER NOW

New law on 'end of life'

Posted by fishybizzness-423618 - Created: 3 years ago
0 0
Sorry no image available

9 replies (Showing replies: 1 to 9)

Sorry no image available
Posted by fishybizzness-423618 - 3 years ago

Thank you all for your replies.

Regards Geoff.

Sorry no image available
Posted by orme2 - 3 years ago

walnut72, I've had a quick look at the official document:

http://www.elysee.fr/assets/Uploads/Rapport-et-proposition-de-loi-creant-de-nouveaux-droits-en-faveur-des-malades-et-des-personnes-en-fin-de-vie.pdf

and I can't find anything that says the doctors have the right to take the decision themselves.  This law is supposed to stop people suffering unnecessarily, but is not a law permitting euthanasia which the government have always said they were against.

Sorry no image available
Posted by dangermouse-440611 - 3 years ago

well my wife is a live in carer in the uk,for 2 years now she has been looking after a lady who has a rare form of demetia,and there is nothing there she can not comunicate in any way to the carers or family, i would not want to end like that,if that was my animal you would have putit to sleep ages ago,there must be something wrong somewhere in the way of life

Sorry no image available
Posted by walnut72 - 3 years ago

I read that doctors can make the decision if they feel it is in the patients best interest, that is the bit I don't like the sound of.It should be patients choice first, then if patient not able to make the decision due to state of health then it should be the family. I have first hand of this in uk and will be facing it here in france at some point as my husband is terminally ill.

Sorry no image available
Posted by Diane05 - 3 years ago

This has been in the UK for a while now lots of people I know think it is fantastic I for one would have one of these

Regards

Diane

Sorry no image available
Posted by Wilbury Traveller - 3 years ago

Thank you Kervéor

Sorry no image available
Posted by kervéor - 3 years ago

If you tap in "fin de la vie " le express.fr has a very comprehensive report on it .

Sorry no image available
Posted by Wilbury Traveller - 3 years ago

I like that idea very much, there is too much Human suffering at the end of life and anything that can alleviate will be welcomed by many.   I am presuming that this is French law  and hoping that it is a new law throughout Europe ?

Sorry no image available
Posted by orme2 - 3 years ago

The law means that a person who is terminally ill can choose to be put into a final deep coma in the last stages of their life, when things get too hard to bear and the end is near.  It is not euthanasia, but the idea is to ensure they do not suffer.