DISCUSSIONS

Find the answers to many of your expat questions here

View Latest Posts

You're missing out...

As a member you can enjoy exclusive info and offers.

REGISTER NOW

Obtaining the French equivalent of an EHIC card

Posted by Philealing - Created: 4 years ago
0 0
Sorry no image available

10 replies (Showing replies: 1 to 10)

Sorry no image available
Posted by johnmorgan-420501 - 4 years ago

I emailed OVERSEAS.HEALTHCARE@dwp.gsi.gov.uk who replied as follows-

Our records show you both have a valid and registered S1/E121 form.  This form entitles you to the same health cover as a French national in state establishments whilst you reside in France.  For example, if a French national receives treatment free of charge, then you will receive the same treatment free of charge.  If a French national is expected to pay a contribution towards the cost of their healthcare, then you will also be expected to meet these costs.  Please note, form S1/E121 does not cover you for private treatment.I can confirm you are not entitled to any reimbursement from the United Kingdom (UK) for any treatment costs which are not covered by form S1/E121. 

As you are both receiving a UK state pension and also a valid S1 form, I can confirm you can return to the UK and receive treatment via the NHS.  This includes both emergency and pre-planned treatment.  Please note the hospital may request proof you are receiving a UK state pension so I would advise you to carry evidence with you such as your pension statement etc.

Sorry no image available
Posted by Tryval - 4 years ago

I started the process by calling Newcastle, 00442181999. for guidance, they were very helpful.

Sorry no image available
Posted by Tryval - 4 years ago

I have a UK state pension and received mine from the UK,applied on line, arrived within about a week of application.

Sorry no image available
Posted by Philealing - 4 years ago

Found it. It seems to have given me limited access until I responded to the confirmation email they send out after first accessing it.

Sorry no image available
Posted by corky33-898981 - 4 years ago

If you receive a UK State pension and have an S1 you have to apply to the UK for an EHIC. 

If you are an early retiree in the French Health system then access the ameli.fr website.  On the left hand side of the Accueil there is a section titled MES DEMARCHES.  the third option in this section is - Commande une Carte European d'Assurance Maladie.  The CEAM last for one year.  If you are travelling before your card arrives you can download an attestation to cover you.

Sorry no image available
Posted by johnmorgan-420501 - 4 years ago

Where on the Ameli web site and is that for pensioners also? 

Sorry no image available
Posted by mrsoverall - 4 years ago

Access your Ameli account then apply for a CEAM card. Carte Européenne d'Assurance Maladie. 

Sorry no image available

Well I would say that ameli.fr (spelt correctly this time) has won as within minutes of my posting the postman arrived with my code.  However I can't see an option to request a card. I will persevere.

Sorry no image available

Well I am awaiting my CV to arrive having submitted my photo etc and I have entered my new PERMANENT social security number on the Amelie web site a week ago so whichever arrives first (CV or Amelie code) I will use that method. Thank you. 

Sorry no image available
Posted by mrsoverall - 4 years ago

You can also apply online using the ameli.fr site.

Bonne voyage.