DISCUSSIONS

Find the answers to many of your expat questions here

View Latest Posts

You're missing out...

As a member you can enjoy exclusive info and offers.

REGISTER NOW

Organ Donation

Posted by Dueller-813343 - Created: 3 years ago
0 0
Sorry no image available

7 replies (Showing replies: 1 to 7)

Sorry no image available
Posted by bretonne - 3 years ago

Information and criteria for organ donation in FRance here -

http://www.hopital.fr/Vos-dossiers-sante/Don-d-organes-et-greffes

Sorry no image available
Posted by grannydot-403561 - 3 years ago

they will only take organs from people who are certified brain dead. There is no way way they transplant anything from from anyone who has died from, or had any serious illness. 

Sorry no image available
Posted by walnut72 - 3 years ago

My husband has neuroendocrine cancer and the hospital told him, he absolutely must not donate organs as the recipient could potentially receive the cancer

Sorry no image available
Posted by grannydot-403561 - 3 years ago

But they will give organs to the british. The system here is good, we cannot thank them enough my husband got a kidney at 69. He only waited 19 weeks, and during that time we missed 2 that would have been good for him because we were in England for two weeks, and that was only 6 weeks after going on the list.  Whether they want ours or not, their system works. I carry a donor card, if when the time comes they have the option, I was not told at Rennes hospital they they didn't want  my organs when I am gone. 

Carry a card, the choice is then theirs.

Sorry no image available
Posted by bretonne - 3 years ago

The only restrictions on organ donation concern age for certain organs -

http://www.france-adot.org/qui-peut-donner.html

Sorry no image available
Posted by Joe-Huelgoat-383105 - 3 years ago

Ne peuvent pas donner leur sang : 
- les personnes ayant subi une transfusion sanguine, une greffe d'organe, de tissus ou de cellules
- les personnes ayant séjourné en Grande-Bretagne plus de 12 mois entre 1980 et 1996
- les personnes ayant reçu des drogues par injection intraveineuse, actuelle ou passée
- les homosexuels masculins

people who stayed in Britain over 12 months between 1980 and 1996

Sorry no image available
Posted by Joe-Huelgoat-383105 - 3 years ago

I am not sure if it is possible for citizens from the UK to donate organs.

They will not allow EX-UK citizens to give blood in France so I would have thought it unlikely that organs could be donated. Perhaps someone in the know could reply.

When I went to donate blood I was told it was to do with all british people could have the mad cow disease !