Find the answers to many of your expat questions here

View Latest Posts

You're missing out...

As a member you can enjoy exclusive info and offers.


S1 form

Posted by bigbadbill - Created: 4 years ago
0 0
Sorry no image available

10 replies (Showing replies: 1 to 10)

Sorry no image available
Posted by paul & nadine - 4 years ago

About the rebate. I was told verbally by CPAM that you have to pay for the whole quarter during which the change occurs, and that therefore I would receive no rebate. I then got a letter which restated that and quoted the french regulation. This said exactly the opposite - if a rebate is due for any part of the quarter you don't have to pay at all.

So I sent a registered letter to protest, and received a phone call the day it arrived, saying that I was right, and that I would receive a rebate for the full quarter, which arrived soon after.



Sorry no image available
Posted by rance-781573 - 4 years ago

Not sure where your info has come from TBH.

Anyway perhaps this link might help?


Sorry no image available
Posted by Martin King-393934 - 4 years ago

I thought the S1 was no longer in use.Wasn't it supposed to give Uk citizens income while they looked for work in EU countries.Valid up to one year depending on previous NIC payments and assets?


Sorry no image available
Posted by walnut72 - 4 years ago

one little note, if you are younger than your wife and you go on her 'uk' health, if you out live her and were still under uk retirement age then you would have to re apply to join french health care, sorry to be morbid but when I queried this with newcastle the conversation went like this

My husband is older than me by 8 years, if i go on his insurance, what would happen to my health care if he died first, as I have 6 years to go to reach state pension age.

The reply was

a. get a job

b. apply to re join french health care

As I wanted to continue my auto entrepreneur it became irrelevant as you can't be covered by uk and do any work.

just a caution tho for others


Sorry no image available
Posted by Brian Stone - 4 years ago

Your CPAM contributions should cease, and any rebate be calculated, as from the date of your wife's birthday. For French ciitizens it's the end of the quarter in which the birthday falls, but the UK assumes responsibility by virtue of your NI contributions as from the actual date. 

Sorry no image available
Posted by countrydweller - 4 years ago

I do not know your personal financial situation but when you do your french tax return do not forget to say that you have an S1 as you will not have to pay social contributions

Sorry no image available
Posted by paul & nadine - 4 years ago

We received a rebate from CMU when everything was sorted out.  I had to write and claim it, butgot it in the end. If you have aproblem with it post again.

Sorry no image available
Posted by Field18 - 4 years ago

Take copies of the S1. Then take originals and Carte Vitale to CPAM office and they will update their system so that your healthcare is covered by UK.

Sorry no image available
Posted by countrydweller - 4 years ago

It means you will no longer be required to pay cotisations to be in the CMU.You should also ensure that both your names are on the S1 as you can piggy back on your wifes.You still need to consider the top up though.The sooner you go to CPAM the sooner you stop paying!!!

Sorry no image available
Posted by suziepops - 4 years ago

I believe it means that your healthcare will be paid for by the UK.