DISCUSSIONS

Find the answers to many of your expat questions here

View Latest Posts

You're missing out...

As a member you can enjoy exclusive info and offers.

REGISTER NOW

SI form advice

Posted by longmeadow - Created: 3 years ago
0 0
Sorry no image available

7 replies (Showing replies: 1 to 7)

Sorry no image available
Posted by John Rodney - 3 years ago

I came to live in France in 2007.  I am now, this year, 77 yrs. 

For the first 6 months or so I had to pay my way, medical wise, and claim back.  I am now, with my carte vitel, as far as I can tell, fully intergrated into the French system,  Which, I may add, I find to be excellent.

If anyone was to ask me to produce my S1 I would declare it impossible.  I don't even know what it looks like.

Either my spelling is getting better or AI,s spell check is not working.  Catch up AI with most, modern, sites it is automaiic.

Sorry no image available
Posted by Reveuse-918439 - 3 years ago
Sorry no image available
Posted by longmeadow - 3 years ago

Countrydweller - I have spoken to the tax office in the UK and they advise that as my income is below the tax threshold in the UK there is no requirement for me to complete the Dual Taxation form. However, they further advised that my husband will need to complete form ashe  his already  over the tax threshold when he receives his pension in 12 months time.

Reveuse - My husband is inactive (Governement Pension) and I now have an S1 form for him.

Can anyone advise me what the earnings threshold is in France before you start paying tax (assuming there is one)?

Sorry no image available
Posted by countrydweller - 3 years ago

Just to add that your UK pension should be paid free of UK tax and it will be taxed in France.You need to fill in the Dual Taxation form to be found on HMRC website and get it signed at your ax office

Sorry no image available
Posted by Reveuse-918439 - 3 years ago

If you're currently getting healthcare as your husband's dependent, this needs to be changed when you get your S1, as countrydweller says.

At the moment you're covered as your husband's dependent because you don't have any entitlement to health cover in your own right. Once your S1 kicks in, then you do have entitlement to healthcare in your own right. Therefore it would be incorrect to claim that you don't, and to continue piggybacking on your husband's entitlement.

You don't say what your husband's entitlement is based on at present. If he's working in France and is going to continue working, he'll have to keep paying cotisations and you'll each have your own separate cover. If he's inactif and paying contributions based on non-professional income, he will be able to piggyback on your entitlement.

Sorry no image available
Posted by longmeadow - 3 years ago

Thankyou for yr reply - the piggybank info was useful to know and I will make enquiries as I am a dependant on my husbands affiliation here and he is not yet of pensionable age.

Sorry no image available
Posted by countrydweller - 3 years ago

All you need to do is take the S1 (and all the usual id docs etc) to your local CPAM office they will change the basis on which you are regarded as a member of CMU arrange for any refund/balancing invoice to be sent to you for your previous membership of CMU.You keep your current Carte Vitale and SS number You will need to continue with your top up.They do this virtually every day so there will not be a problem at all.The only change is that your European Health Card EHIC should now be obtained from DWP at Newcastle and not from France.You should note that from April 2015 an S1 holder can get treatment on the UK NHS on the same basis as if you were resident in the UK.Remember to take copies of yur S1.You should note that if you are married to a UK national who is not of pensionable age then they piggyback on your S1.Contact DWP to arrange this