DISCUSSIONS

Find the answers to many of your expat questions here

View Latest Posts

You're missing out...

As a member you can enjoy exclusive info and offers.

REGISTER NOW

top up health insurance

Posted by calapez - Created: 3 years ago
0 0
Sorry no image available

8 replies (Showing replies: 1 to 8)

Sorry no image available
Posted by Anonymous - 3 years ago

As stated above, there are a myriad of types of cover.  The only way you can make heads or tails of it is to go into a broker or two and get it explained.  If your wife is as good at French as you intimate it won't take long for you to have enough sound information to decide on a policy.

As far as finding part time work........Lots of luck with that one.  There are expats here doing meat packing because there is so little work available.  People who have skills, education, and experience of all types.

Sorry no image available
Posted by Kanak - 3 years ago

Hi calapez... I'm sure there is loads of stuff already posted here, and as suziepops says, you will have to weigh up the quality of the offer.  If you are new to all this you must start by getting your head round the percentage thing.   Every health item has a secu tarif, and the reimbursements fall short, so much more if the doctor is list 2 (free to set his own fee, which can even be the case in hospital).
Specs and teeth have miniscule levels of secu reimbursement, so don't fall into the trap of thinking even 200% secu is good cover....each policy will list what it pays out, and the premium increases accordingly....  accidents and long-term illnesses are covered  differently.  Normally both partners will be expected to be in the same level of cover, then the healthier one does his/her bit for the others (most mutuelles are sort of cooperatives), and you can normally only change your level of cover at the renewal of the policy, rather than when you realise you need a new pair of progressive lenses.  I'm sure you'll get lots more advice!

Sorry no image available
Posted by calapez - 3 years ago

thank you

Sorry no image available

She is Fluent in 5 languages including French but don't want any teaching jobs. Most likely will retire with me and do the gardening. (lucky her)

Sorry no image available
Posted by Football mad - 3 years ago

The "best" top up will depend on what you decide you want and the level of cover you chose. Be aware  that when comparing options the terms 100% 200% etc don't mean you will get back all you have paid or twice what you have paid. Reimbursement is based on the official or "conventione" rate for the treatment not what you have actually paid so for example the official rate for a dental crown may be 100€ but you may pay 500€ so the reimbursement from the system and from the top up is based on 100€. If you look at Assureland online you can chose your cover from many options and get an idea of costs. In general "mutuelles" are better than insurance companies.

Also bear in mind that top ups are not compulsory and if you think you can afford a big bill should it occur then saving on top up premiums may pay you if you are lucky and don't get a big bill. I worked out that in 9 years I would be 10,000€ richer had I not had a top up but as with all insurance when you claim you are glad you have it.

Sorry no image available
Posted by suziepops - 3 years ago

Jobs are very hard to come by.  Does she have a skill or qualification that could be used in France?  Does she speak fluent French?

Sorry no image available

Thanks, wife not sure if she wants a part-time job.

I need help on the different levels of cover, is there a policy with 100% cover?

Sorry no image available
Posted by suziepops - 3 years ago

There isn't a best top-up insurance.  It will depend on what you want covered.  Hospital care, dentists, specs?  The wife is semi-retired.  What does that mean? Will she be working for a company here or in the UK, setting up a business here, or what?