DISCUSSIONS

Find the answers to many of your expat questions here

View Latest Posts

You're missing out...

As a member you can enjoy exclusive info and offers.

REGISTER NOW

2nd home fridge problems

Posted by retr-388344 - Created: 3 years ago
0 0
Sorry no image available

10 replies (Showing replies: 1 to 10)

Sorry no image available
Posted by retr-388344 - 3 years ago

Hi

That's great thanks! Confirming I would be better getting the 2 separate units as I am not sure of any with twim motors 

Cheers

Sorry no image available
Posted by AQ-417490 - 3 years ago

A freezer should work OK in low temperatures, but the thermostat on fridge/freezers primarily controls the fridge temperature within quite a narrow band (about 0 - 6 degrees) to keep chilled food at optimum temperature so it doesn't spoil.  If the temperature in the garage drops below this range, the thermostat will switch the motor off (fridge is cool enough already) and so the freezer part starts warming up. Some fridge/freezers have separate motors (and thermostats) for fridge and freezer, so once these are correctly set, the freezer motor will run during lower temperatures, leaving the fridge motor to do nothing as the fridge is already cool enough.

Sorry it sounds a bit long winded. We once had such a twin motor fridge/freezer and all worked well. Not sure if they are still made now.

Sorry no image available

Hi again, 

Thanks for the info and I think the 2 separate units is the way you go after reading about it. 

I just wondered if anyone else had the same happen as I know now that many have to turn off fridges and freezers between holidays and they are stored in rooms with no heating on!  All contributing factors I expect? 

Thanks

Sorry no image available
Posted by helicopterrob - 3 years ago

Sorry,, did not want to make it technical.. Fridge freezers are always going to be a problem anywhere where the  temperature drops below 5 degree Celcius - that is because the way they work.  The best advice I could give re buying a new machine is  ,if you are going to have them in an outhouse/garage or  a relatively cold environent is to buy two seperate units - you can buy fridges and freezers that stack one on top of the other. You then have a  freezer that will control itself  and a fridge that will control itself,- do not buy a fridge that has an ice box thoughm just a larder type.  you use a little bit more energy but not a lot in the grand scale of things , you should then be ok.

Sorry no image available

thanks Helicopterob

It all sounds a bit technical for me, but I think I could manage the sharp tap onbut Nothing else! it would need professionals intervention I suppose.

The first fridge/freezer packed up  last year and is not too old. It still comes on but doesn't chill at all. the second one we bought after the first and this summer the freezer part froze but the fridge part didn't chill to the correct temp. we had to put freezer blocks around meat, fish etc to keep safe which is not good!

I have heard there are some fridges and freezers that are designed to cope with lower temperatures such as garage etc. Beko, I think is the make and we wonder wether to buy one in UK or if they sell in Brittany?? Either way it is a problem.

Is there nobody else who has had this problem, and managed to find a solution?????

thanks

Sorry no image available
Posted by helicopterrob - 3 years ago

The reason some fridges and fridge freezers are not suitable for outbuildings is simply the way they work,, The normal freezing cycle would at maximum cold setting for sake of argument , take the freezer down to -35 degree. At that point the motor( compressor stops) and the cabinet warms up  naturally until it gets to  minus 16 or so and at that point the cycle starts again... If the outbuildings therefore are  cold and below  minus 16 the freezer thinks it is  working fine and does not  power up, of course the cabinet is warming and  food  spoils albeit slowly.. In the case of freezers this is not such a problem as at minus 16 it will not spoil very quick... Now put a larder fridge or fridge freezer in the same situation and they will  freeze  to  minus 15  then cut out but this time to prevent the plate in the fridge  freezing, and to maintain the fridge part just above freezing so it is a fridge not a freezer,  it will go through a defrost cycle by not cutting in and freezing again until the thermostat reads  plus 3 or 4 degree. This time if the outside temperature therefore is less than  4 degree then  the fridge freezer thinks it has not defrosted yet,will not run and very quickly the freezer will defrost. The temps I have given are just to illustrate the principal.

You can overcome this by fitting a thermostat or auto defrost timer  to suit the environment in which the machine is used.

As far as motors needing to be run to keep seals flexible  then  that is not necessary for fridges and freezers,, for your car air conditioning however  it is a good idea and to be reccomended   As far as both your machines not working then most likely that the thermostat have simply  failed   through not cycling -if you are comfortable around electrics bridge across the terminals of the thermostat and it may just spark into life.  a sharp tap on the  thermostat will often cause it to work too but if it does then work I would reccomend replacing it .  Alternative is the compressor relay/overload has  failed  which happens quite often on older machines and is a cheap easy replacement .

Hope that helps

Sorry no image available
Posted by woody-383477 - 3 years ago

I don't  think modern fridges/freezers cope in low temperatures.  My son had a holiday home and left his on - when the temperature dropped it defrosted itself.  

Sorry no image available

cheers rosby

that might be the answer then! as ours are both larder fridge with smaller freezer section above and both have packed up. 

I think it might be better to get seperate units and suitable for outbuildings too as they can withstand lower temperatures.

Thanks

Sorry no image available

hi Dave

thanks for the reply, I know you are not supposed to turn them off but as I said, leaving appliances on when not there is a fire risk, and home insurance would be affected too!

If you have had yours for 12 years and it's still okay, I think we must have just been unlucky as ours are newer than that, but are a fridge with smaller freezer in the top section, not just a freezer!  ah well, maybe someone else has had it happen and can recommend a super fridge/freezer that stands up to cold and being turned off!!!!

Cheers

Sorry no image available
Posted by rosby - 3 years ago

My chest freezer has been outside in outbuildings for 11 years with no problem even when the temperatures hit minus 20.  I also had a  beer fridge outside for about 6 years and that was only switched on in the summer months.  I have just been googling and it seems like the fridge freezer combos are more prone to problems. Hope that is some use