DISCUSSIONS

Find the answers to many of your expat questions here

View Latest Posts

You're missing out...

As a member you can enjoy exclusive info and offers.

REGISTER NOW

Animals Yes or No in your gîte

Posted by loubie-422519 - Created: 3 years ago
0 0
Sorry no image available

10 replies (Showing replies: 1 to 10)

Sorry no image available
Posted by valbonne-home - 3 years ago

We built a "doggie jail" in the garden, if they do not want to keep them in it, they don't stay.

Sorry no image available
Posted by greenandpleasant - 3 years ago

We were aware of the original ruling saying owners could not refuse domestic animals, and have generally had good experiences with those few dogs we have accepted.  This changed last spring when we had a group of retired guests with their (apparently) "well behaved miniature schnauzer" I have never encountered such a mess.  The dog clearly wasn't house trained and slept on the bed.  A changeover normally takes me around 6 or 7 hours, it took a good 3 hours on top after these guests had left.  As a result, I looked into it further and discovered, as above, that the law had changed once again.  I have to say, I will not accept dogs again, I cannot risk a repeat situation, albeit the only one in almost twelve years.  I don't have any problem finding repeat guests who don't bring their pets. Apologies to all the very may conscientious animal owners!

Sorry no image available
Posted by shepherdscrook - 3 years ago

Emu on the other hand I never book a place where my dog isn't welcome!!!

I compete in sheepdog trials and as only in classe 1 at the moment  and as  they start early I often have to stay at least one night in a gîte/motel /b&b. 

I always have plenty of black poop bags with me so always clean up after my dog - may be gîtes could provide these so owners without them are forced to clean up after their dogs.

I always clean inside the gîte and try to leave as clean as I found it even having to get up extra early to sweep up etc.

it is common sense to clean up after your animal and yes hair does get every where but a simple clean up before leaving will help getting rid of pet hair surely?

As to allergies - I am allergic to cats but take antihistamines beforehand if I know I am going anywhere there are cats!!!

I take my own covers for the bed as I know my dog will get up BUT as they are never allowed on chairs etc they never try so just lie by my feet if reading or watching tv.

I usually pay between 4 euros and 6 euros extra which will cover the cost of the extra cleaning HOWEVER at least dogs do not smoke in rooms where it says no smoking!!, do not leave the bathroom as if a whirlwind has hit it nor leave food stains , steal towels, block toilets or sinks, have tv's on too loud that the whole hotel can hear it!!!!. So most are cleaner than some humans!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sorry no image available
Posted by Freckleface-401505 - 3 years ago

We have accepted dogs in our chambres d hote for over 20 years without problems.We also have a dog but our dog is not allowed in the guests house.We have more problems with children.Please do keep refusing dogs as it increases our market share!!!

Sorry no image available
Posted by Pam Jones - 3 years ago

We have a gite and accept dogs, so far we have not had any problems, the gite has always been left immaculate, and we always go in and vacum under all the furniture and cushions on sofas just to make sure it is clean.

The only problem we have ever had with clients was a family with feral children who tried to demolish shrubs and climbers in the garden to make a den!

Sorry no image available
Posted by candid - 3 years ago

there seem to be more people looking to bring their dogs than peope with allergies so you have to choose which fills your gites for more weeks.

Sorry no image available
Posted by Busterboy - 3 years ago

The law you posted was changed about a year later...........

Cependant, la loi n° 2012-387 du 22 mars 2012 (article 96) a apporté une exception à cette règle en ce qui concerne les contrats de location saisonnière de meublés de tourisme. Pour ce type de location, le bailleur peut désormais prévoir d'interdire la détention d'un animal familier via une clause figurant au sein du contrat. 

Cette exception ne concerne que les meublés de tourisme, c'est-à-dire les contrats correspondant aux critères et aux règles applicables à ce type de location. Dans les autres cas, la détention d'un animal familier ne peut pas être interdite par le loueur, que celui-ci soit un professionnel ou non. Cependant, le propriétaire peut toujours interdire la détention d'un animal lorsque celui-ci est classé dans la catégorie des chiens d'attaque.

Sorry no image available
Posted by Iguana Rock - 3 years ago

EMU........................I feel the same about babies!

Sorry no image available
Posted by moi-383589 - 3 years ago

Really?-read the post and then the law, from the link posted at the bottom

New French law leaves trail of pet hairs and small deposits.

Another well thought out French law has been released o2011 La Cour de Cassation has ruled that owners of holiday rental properties can now no longer refuse to accept family pets. n an unsuspecting public. On 3 February A consumer rights group, 'l'Union Fédérale des Consommateurs Que Choisir de l'Isère', brought a case against 'Clévacances' to enforce the rights of pet owners to stay where they want accompanied by their animals. Rental contracts can now no longer include clauses to exclude pets. 

At the time of writing the Clévacances website seems to make no mention of pets but the Gîtes de France website continues to publish property listings showing pets as being allowed or prohibited - the terms 'Animaux autorisés'  and 'Animaux interdits' being used.

This new law may not entirely achieve its aim. Both owners who previously accepted pets and those who refused them, may well not be happy. The properties who welcomed pets previously will find they have much more competition as all properties must now accept pets. And property owners who refused pets obviously will not now welcome being forced to accept them. To some extent a similar problem exists even for those travelling with pets and looking for a rental. While previously it was easy enough to identify which properties accepted pets and were suitable for pets, now in theory, there is no distinction between properties. You and your pet can stay anywhere even if the pet is not actually welcome. Few pet owners would want this. Obviously the property should be suitable for your animal and the owner should genuinely welcome it otherwise there is little point in taking on the rental by either owner or tenant as problems are bound to ensue.

This new law could be a particular problem for allergy sufferers. How can they now be sure that a property has not previously accepted pets? Also, what about the time and effort required to tidy up the mess left behind by poorly managed pets? If there are already pets staying on the rental property, how will they react to newcomers?

For owners:
If you do not wish to accept pets to your property, there are various ways of dissuading tenants from bringing their animals:

State why your property is unsuitable for pets. Perhaps you have no or insufficient outside space, the garden is unfenced or there is a busy road nearby etc.  Levy an additional charge for each pet.  Charge an additional cleaning fee.  Identify if pets are coming prior to the rental. If they are, ensure the type and number of pets are included on the booking form.  Set no go areas for pets.  Stipulate that pet owners clear up behind their pets during their stay.

For tenants:
Look out for 'pets welcome' signs on websites. Ask the owners if they are happy for you to bring your pet. Visit the property or ask the relevant questions to ensure that the property is going to be suitable for your pet.  

This is a law which in theory gives pet owners free rein over where to stay but in practice will muddy the drinking bowl.

The full text of the law can be viewed here:
http://www.leparticulier.fr/upload/docs/application/pdf/2011-02/cassation_03022011_0814402_location_saisonniere_animal_familier.pdf

Sorry no image available
Posted by Emu-408495 - 3 years ago

Interesting post.  From the point of view of a potential customer I would never book accommodation where pets are allowed.  The thought of living in a property where animals have been is repulsive to me.