DISCUSSIONS

Find the answers to many of your expat questions here

View Latest Posts

You're missing out...

As a member you can enjoy exclusive info and offers.

REGISTER NOW

Another phone scam

Posted by Bubble-409327 - Created: 2 years ago
0 0
Sorry no image available

5 replies (Showing replies: 1 to 5)

Sorry no image available
Posted by gwenn-391886 - 2 years ago

We have so many 'spam' calls that we've stopped answering our landline and only return calls where we are absolutely sure what it's about, although it's not always easy to tell, I figure that they'll write if it's important.

Sorry no image available
Posted by Bubble-409327 - 2 years ago

Stifler - I do not know the number. They left a message, because I do not pick the call up.

You are right! the link may not be appropriate. So here is what I read online and also I am NOT a customer of NorthShore Bank which is based in USA, I think.

North Shore Bank customers are advised that an automated telephone call stating to be from North Shore Bank and requesting credit/debit card information has not been authorized by the bank.

“If you are a North Shore Bank customer and receive this call, please be advised NOT to give any personal information over the telephone or via email — this message has NOT been authorized by the bank,” a security advisory on the bank’s website states. “It is North Shore Bank’s strict policy to never initiate a telephone call or email to request personal account information.”

The call was reportedly received by residents of Peabody and other communities on Sunday, and was noted as a scam in the Peabody and Salem police logs.

These scams are spreading fast, so be prepared should you get this call. Most of us take those summons for jury duty seriously, but enough people skip out on their civic duty, that a new and ominous kind of scam has surfaced.   Fall for it and your identity could be stolen, reports CBS. In this con, someone calls pretending to be a court official who threateningly says a warrant has been issued for your arrest because you didn't show up for jury duty . The caller claims to be a jury coordinator. If you protest that you never received a summons for jury duty, the scammer asks you for your Social Security number and date of birth so he or she can verify the information and cancel the arrest warrant. Give out any of this information and bingo! Your identity just got stolen.   This jury duty scam is particularly insidious because the scammer uses intimidation over the phone to try to bully people into giving information by pretending they're with the court system. The FBI and the federal court system have issued nationwide alerts on their Web sites, warning consumers about the fraud.

Sorry no image available
Posted by Papi-10068015 - 2 years ago

Agree with Philealing - better to relate what this is about than provide a link to the site of the offender.

Sorry no image available
Posted by Philealing - 2 years ago

I think you'd be better off giving a summary of what the scam is as one of the first rules of online security is to never click on a link you are unsure of.

Sorry no image available
Posted by stifler-10048267 - 2 years ago

Would you share the number? I think it's been several years since I found similar reports about these bank frauds filed online, like at http://whycall.me. You better just block the number.