DISCUSSIONS

Find the answers to many of your expat questions here

View Latest Posts

You're missing out...

As a member you can enjoy exclusive info and offers.

REGISTER NOW

Anybody use an electric chainsaw?

Posted by GoneandDunit - Created: 3 years ago
0 0
Sorry no image available

10 replies (Showing replies: 1 to 10)

Sorry no image available
Posted by GoneandDunit - 3 years ago

Thanks again for the reply's.

I will be visiting Leroy Merlin tomorrow :)

Sorry no image available
Posted by Rapier - 3 years ago

I had a Bosch electric chainsaw,100 euros ish for some time which was OK on logs 150mm dia or so but beyond that it was not good.The main dirve gear,plastic!! stripped twice.My advice would be to check the spec carefully and avoid those with plastic drive gears.

Sorry no image available
Posted by Lumbersexual-992851 - 3 years ago

Chain life is only down to the user and hygiene of material being cut.

The chains are the same as on 2 stroke.

Jack

Sorry no image available
Posted by AQ-417490 - 3 years ago

I note that rechargeable ones are on the market, but not sure if they are man enough for the task, or indeed how long the battery lasts - not just between charges, but how long in months or years before it fails to hold its charge.

Sorry no image available
Posted by Space Cadet - 3 years ago

Personally I prefer to use a petrol chainsaw, as you aren`t tied to having access to an electricity supply. Also, I don`t like the idea of having to constantly be aware as to where the cable is. 

Sorry no image available
Posted by Rudge - 3 years ago

I looked and priced various electric chainsaws, but my budget dictated  my purchaseof  a chinese one with an Oregon bar and chain for around 65€. I had read reviews, ranging from 'chian blunt in 5 minutes use' to excellent. I am very impressed with it, have cut 9 inch diamter branches off oak trees, cut up a lot of logs with it and it has plenty of power. I keep the chain sharpened, use correct oil in the oiling reservoir and check the chain tension after each period of use . 

I still dream of buying and using a Stiilhl electric saw, but at a quarter of the cost the cheap one serves me well, and has more than repaid the modest price over the last 18 months .

Sorry no image available
Posted by PamandAndrew-390752 - 3 years ago

I have both and now use an electric to cut the logs, much easier than messing around with the 2 stroke! I was told that the chain lasts longer with an electric, before sharpening, as it is lower revving but it seems to cut just as well. So far this appears to be true...I used the electric all through the Winter and haven't had to sharpen the chain and it's still throwing quite large chunks when it cuts...

Sorry no image available
Posted by firestarter-435430 - 3 years ago

If you want something light and easy to use get a pair of Black & Decker Alligators.  They have a tiny blade but I kid you not - I have cut wood up to 12" in diameter with them!  Just got through a whole load of pretty hefty pine.  They might look as if they aren't up to the job but trust me - they are!  AND, the chain never seems to need sharpening which is quite incredible.  You can buy them for less than 100 euros and I have just bought a new pair. The old ones which I bought 2nd hand are still working but getting tired after continual use for 5 years and I have only ever bought one replacement chain.

Sorry no image available
Posted by Son Of Fred - 3 years ago

I use a petrol one for the big stuff, but for 6" stuff electric would be no problem BUT get the best on you can afford.IE a well known make.

Sorry no image available
Posted by JohnP-390097 - 3 years ago

I bought a cheap electric chainsaw and was dissappointed, it only just limped passed it's guarantee. I now have a second-hand Stihl which works well and plenty of power. I have fitted it into a jig for cutting logs, makes it much safer to use. Like most things, you get what you pay for.