DISCUSSIONS

Find the answers to many of your expat questions here

View Latest Posts

You're missing out...

As a member you can enjoy exclusive info and offers.

REGISTER NOW

Anyone use Netflix?

Posted by LRV24 - Created: 3 years ago
0 0
Sorry no image available

9 replies (Showing replies: 1 to 9)

Sorry no image available
Posted by evenevenmoreantibs - 3 years ago

The problem isn't with Netflix, Sky, BBC et al. it's the greedy studios putting restriction on the broadcasters in an attempt to maximize their profits, never mind the customer.

Sorry no image available
Posted by Tilia - 3 years ago

re Junkanoo: What he said !!

Sorry no image available
Posted by junkanoo - 3 years ago

Hi Bartyb

You're correct, of course. My point is that I would be willing to pay (not too much) to get the services I want, rather than have to get round the restrictions somehow.

Sky, Netflix and BBC all know what goes on. The first two, as you say, are happy enough to coin in the cash.

Cheers

Posted by bartyb - 3 years ago

No Idea about German TV but French TV is tied down by encryption. Mainstream channels broadcast from Astra1 and Hotbird require a subscription card that can only officially be sold with a box and replacements must be delivered to a French address with the exception of FR2, 3, 5 Arte and LCP from AtlanticBird3 which are broadcast without encryption.

So really same restrictions just different technology

(Netherland TV is even more tied down than French with only one FTA channel)

My hunch would be that NetFlicks are covering their backs more than spending their profits developing software systems to reduce their revenue.

Sorry no image available

Hi

I really  believe that, with the spread of faster broadband, the days of geographical restrictions are, or should be, numbered. Many of us watch UK TV although we live abroad. Many of us watch BBC iPlayer. Many, I'm sure watch Netflix UK, as I do. Many people use a Sky subscription over here which is strictly against the terms of use.

Why is that only UK TV try and restrict satellite coverage with a UK spot beam? French and German TV, to name but two, are broadcast on a pan-european beam. 

What do others think?

Cheers

Sorry no image available
Posted by lamb chop - 3 years ago

use netflix france, they're fine

Sorry no image available

Hi

The CEO of Netflix, Reed Hastings, was reported recently as saying that he was in favour of lifting the geographical restrictions In order to tackle piracy. Netflix knows what goes on. The terms of use are there to satisfy the distributors of films.

Cheers

Sorry no image available
Posted by LRV24 - 3 years ago

For you, no problem, for me, no problem. For others who have signed up to and paid Netflix in another country, a worry. 

Sorry no image available
Posted by Tilia - 3 years ago

Yes. Knew this when we signed up. What is the problem ? You can , or SHOULD, only be watching programmes licensed for thae area you are in. Full stop.