DISCUSSIONS

Find the answers to many of your expat questions here

View Latest Posts

You're missing out...

As a member you can enjoy exclusive info and offers.

REGISTER NOW

asbestos

Posted by Osian Llyn - Created: 3 years ago
0 0
Sorry no image available

10 replies (Showing replies: 1 to 10)

Sorry no image available
Posted by Osian Llyn - 3 years ago

Good news for us today. A diagnostic test involving sampling has shown that our roof is not asbestos.  Cost  €174 and worth every cent for peace of mind. Now it's a comparatively straightforward  repair.  Thanks for all help given. Now for some estimates. 

Sorry no image available
Posted by woodworker-440624 - 3 years ago

Thank you all for comments and advice. FarmingBrittany thanks for the links you sent. Looks like lots of information on those. If we take them down it will be done legally and already have a quote from a firm that supplies the skips, body bags etc and is then taken to Brest for disposal, We than get a certificate to proove it has legally been disposed of.

Sorry no image available
Posted by Dave Evans-439024 - 3 years ago

Not getting into arguments with barrack room lawyers so cheerio.

Dave

Sorry no image available
Posted by Yellowperill - 3 years ago

Well if you say so Dave Evans For year all the environmentaists, scientist, and HSE bodies have been telling us all how dangerous this stuff is and how harmful it is, Im so glad to know that they are all wrong. I think I said in a earlier post people will believe what they want and interpret things as they want, 

Sorry no image available

Farmingbrittany it will be him and most of the local farmers then. When they plough there is invevitably the odd corner or two stuck up in the ridges. It is safe where it is, damp and covered up. Land is not allowed to be built on because of it's agricultural rating.

Sorry no image available

Woodworker for you as requested

http://www.ibasecretariat.org/serbia_workshop_jan_2014_overview_eu_legislation.pdf

https://osha.europa.eu/en/tools-and-publications/publications/e-facts/efact48

and 1 from the HSE of the UK but matches EU legislation

http://www.hse.gov.uk/asbestos/regulations.htm

Sorry no image available

Be Very very careful burying the stuff or trying to hide it as it may well bite you back, yes very clever to hide it and or bury it, not so clever if you get found out or if picked up in a survey when you come to sell. the demolition and removal of asbestos is a highly regulated activity. Once buried, the land surrounding the site where the asbestos has been buried becomes classed as 'contaminated'. so If later identified by a survey of your property (or even if a neighbour reports you for burying asbestos in your garden) the land may consequently be registered on land registry searches as contaminated by your local Marie; making it very difficult to sell at a later date under Statutory Contaminated Land laws. The cost of land remediation in the event of contamination far exceeds that of having asbestos professionally removed in the first place and it is therefore advisable to seek professional advice on the disposal of asbestos waste products. 
Don't just dump contaminated waste - it may be hazardous to someone else in the future and may end up costing you more than you think and or it may kill you not now perhaps but later, You could also end up with a fine or prosecution. but there again you will know best and up to you if you take the chance, good luck, in reply to Dave Evans who clearly states his mates place has it dumped and buried in the land slowly disintergrating well how wrong he is  Asbestos is virtually indestructible it does not decompose or decay in any way, nor is it as safe as houses, not likely, and now because of Daves post the authorities may well be aware of it, just shows how things get out, 

Sorry no image available

My mates field is full of "asbestos" ridged roofing. Buried there years ago by previous owners and slowly disintegrating. Safe as houses because the field is covered in grass and flowers as a wildlife sanctuary.

Dave

Sorry no image available
Posted by geegee42 - 3 years ago

If you want to take the building down yourself then take it down, its not illegal, when a company does it the regs apply to cover the employees.

Sorry no image available
Posted by Busted - 3 years ago

You lot complicate your lives ! I put mine on a pallet outside my front gate with a sign "free tiles " all gone in 3 days ! problem solved