DISCUSSIONS

Find the answers to many of your expat questions here

View Latest Posts

You're missing out...

As a member you can enjoy exclusive info and offers.

REGISTER NOW

asbestos

Posted by Osian Llyn - Created: 3 years ago
0 0
Sorry no image available

10 replies (Showing replies: 11 to 20)

Sorry no image available
Posted by woodworker-440624 - 3 years ago

Does any one have a link to the rules and regulationd regarding dismantling asbestos buildings ? Can a private individual take then down ? I realise that it then has to be roved by a licensed company who then issue a certificate stating the asbestos has been legally disposed of.

Thanks for any info.

Sorry no image available
Posted by Osian Llyn - 3 years ago

Thank you very much for your offer - depending on the outcome of a diagnostic, I might be in touch for a devis. 

Sorry no image available

It's a roof folks, but not as we know it!  I wanted to keep the original post short, but perhaps should have said that the roof is not an "A" shape.  It slopes from the front of the house to the back.  There is not a lot of room in the loft space, even in the highest part, and very little in the lowest part. It is full of loft insulation!  It would be difficult to do any work from the inside, and if the tiles are asbestos, not a chance of any roofer wanting to be inside..  if this makes a difference to anyone's advice please comment. Thanks for your advice so far.  The diagnostic talks about visual inspection, no sampling, so I think I need to establish what the tiles actually consist of.

Sorry no image available
Posted by geegee42 - 3 years ago

Normally it's visual and sometimes very difficult to tell the difference, but being a carpenter myself I would get someone to look at the roof structure, from my experience for food timbers to fail due to excessive load the load has too be considerable heavier than the original covering,in the UK the main problem was when people replaced the slate type asbestos tiles with concrete tiles,but on many occasions I managed to jack up the roof and add supports which provided a permanent fix.

Sorry no image available

Thanks to everyone who has taken the trouble to reply.  I think I will have another look at what the diagnostic involved at the time, whether a full test was done. I might be back! 

Sorry no image available
Posted by Kanak - 3 years ago

I may be wrong, but I think current law obliges roofers to protect themselves and their staff (proper masks, suits, mobile showers, limited time on the job etc etc.,) and may only dispose of waste into authorised sites.

Sorry no image available
Posted by plouyepaul - 3 years ago

Others here have asked the question, "are you sure". I am 99% certain that if youhave someone test a 'slate' you will find that there is no asbestos problem to fret about. Diagnostics assessors do not have the means to test your 'slates' so if they are not natural slate they will err on the side of caution (cover their backs) and say that asbestos is a possibility. That's all. They will almost certainly have offered their services for ananlysis but this would be at an addditional cost. If it were to cost you 200€ to get one tested and find that I am right then you will no doubt be relieved! Worth a shot don't you think?

Sorry no image available
Posted by geegee42 - 3 years ago

Some déchetteries will take amiant and provide plastic to wrap it in,If the roof surface is in a good state of repair I would look at the option of having the roof strengthened.

Sorry no image available
Posted by wizzywhiskas - 3 years ago

It's about time that people living over here take an interest in the language used by their 'hosts'!!

Dechetterie - 'de chest'.........!!!

My god!!!

Sorry no image available
Posted by Anonymous - 3 years ago

Some will take it some will not.