DISCUSSIONS

Find the answers to many of your expat questions here

View Latest Posts

You're missing out...

As a member you can enjoy exclusive info and offers.

REGISTER NOW

asbestos

Posted by Osian Llyn - Created: 3 years ago
0 0
Sorry no image available

9 replies (Showing replies: 21 to 29)

Sorry no image available
Posted by Fitter - 3 years ago

De chetterie perhaps?

Sorry no image available
Posted by wizzywhiskas - 3 years ago

What's a 'de chest'....??!!!

Sorry no image available
Posted by No longer Online - 3 years ago

Hi there let roofer do job and then take to de chest they will take it over a few runs

Sorry no image available
Posted by geegee42 - 3 years ago

Are you 100% convinced the tiles are asbestos as older fibre cement tiles can easily be confused with asbestos from a distance, even by people who do the survey,and if they have caused the A frames and purlins too deflect they must be quite thick and heavy ,I assume the original roof covering must have been slate?,the other option is more support in the roof,has the loft been converted and someone decided to cut a few bits of timber out ?,in theory if the roof dips then it should either start to push out the external walls or push the wall plate out,ask another carpenter if its not possible to jack up the dip and add more support.

Sorry no image available
Posted by bifna-396742 - 3 years ago

I work for the roofer in Pleine Fougeres and could sort it out for you in cluding the disposal of the old slates.  Do you want me speak to the patron tomorrow?  Where abouts in Dol are you.  He'll be working there tomorrow, but I don't know if he'll have the time to see you.  He doesn't speak English (in fact he's a man of very few words) so if you feel your French is not up to it I'll come over with him.

Sorry no image available
Posted by ingetje - 3 years ago

but surprised that the roof was redone in 1997 with asbestos tiles!!?? they did not use asbestos anymore at that time....weird! I guess they were second hand tiles and didnt know it contained asbestos? Rmember, whatever you do with the asbestos tiles, they will always stay yours, even if you have them disposed by a company or whatever, your name will be on that lot and will forever be yours, dont ask me why...

put them on pallets and wrap them in plastic and store them somewhere or have a company taken them away like that.

Sorry no image available
Posted by Yellowperill - 3 years ago

Very strict rules apply when it comes to Asbestos all Contractors must comply with the Control of Asbestos Regulations those that don’t, best you stay away from, once you start to disturb the tiles then you’re into a controlled sequence of work or should be by law, if you do it any other way and get found out which is quite easy to spot on a roof then the consequences can be severe once disturbed the tiles are done in and  not allowed to be reused,  they must be legally disposed of and are classed as Hazardous waste,  hence most roofers will not touch them, 

Be careful with your contractors as any break in the rules by them and you could find yourself paying the price as ultimatley its your responsibility as the law sees it. good luck

Sorry no image available
Posted by Anonymous - 3 years ago

OR,

Try to engage a licensed asbestos disposal firm to co-ordiate with the roofer.  The roofer may be unwilling to strip the asbestos himself due to the well documented hazards.

Whatever way you tackle it , it will be very expensive.

Sorry no image available
Posted by Dibbyspot - 3 years ago

It seems you have 2 problems; roof needs work  and secondly the disposal of the roof tiles.  A solution maybe; get the roofer to do the work. Keep the tiles on site, if possible  and then manage disposal. If your roofer can do the job go for it. Seems roofers are always very busy.