DISCUSSIONS

Find the answers to many of your expat questions here

View Latest Posts

You're missing out...

As a member you can enjoy exclusive info and offers.

REGISTER NOW

Asbestos removal

Posted by Martinoakley_58@hotmail.com - Created: 3 years ago
0 0
Sorry no image available

10 replies (Showing replies: 1 to 10)

Sorry no image available
Posted by vivaofsnape - 3 years ago

The French were using asbestos in roofing panels as late as 1998. 

Sorry no image available
Posted by PamandAndrew-390752 - 3 years ago

May be a silly question but are you sure it's asbestos and not fibre-cement...the manufacturers stopped using asbestos quite a while ago

Sorry no image available
Posted by Dave Evans-439024 - 3 years ago

To cause clinical damage the fibres have to be very specific in their size, >5um in length,<3um in width and an aspect ratio of >3:1. So to meet these fibres in open air and in damp roofing is nearly impossible. After being retired for nigh on 20 years I cannot remember the number of fibres per litre that the general public, unprotected, can be exposed to. However, I worked for 26 years in charge of asbestos strippers so I know what I'm talking about. I was certified to do asbestos fibre counting and had to pass a test every 6 months.

Dave

Sorry no image available
Posted by Fitter - 3 years ago

Dont get the danger of asbestos cement panels out of proportion.

However, from a public health viewpoint, there was a low risk with asbestos cement because it contains a relatively small proportion of asbestos (10-15%) that is  firmly bound in place by cement which makes the sheets strong enough to withstand any relatively rough treatment that might release the asbestos fibres. In addition, under normal weathering the rate of fibre release is very low and as this occurs outdoors rather than in an enclosed space it reduces the risk. Although sheets may show some cracks, small holes and discolouring this will not affect the overall integrity of the panels in a way that would make it a health hazard. Occasionally asbestos cement may be found indoors as a panel for fire protection or some other use. Again it is not necessary to remove it if it is undamaged; a regular visual check on the condition is worthwhile and as a further precaution you may consider sealing it with paint or sealant, although you must make sure that these are not combustible and meet the British Standard for spread of flame.

http://www.charnwood.gov.uk/files/documents/asbestos_cement_fact_sheet1/Asbestos Cement - Factsheet.pdf

Sorry no image available
Posted by geegee42 - 3 years ago

When asbestos weathers and degrades on your roof I assume the rain washes it off and it either ends up in your surface soil or into the surface water drainage system,what happens to it then?

Sorry no image available
Posted by skye1 - 3 years ago

no such thing as a safer asbestos. after going on a asbestos health and safety course treat all asbestos grades as very dangerous. wear a mask and DONT break up this stuff.

Sorry no image available
Posted by avoican - 3 years ago

I put mine on a pallet outside my drive with a free roofing ticket on it and it was all taken within 3 days

Sorry no image available
Posted by Dave Evans-439024 - 3 years ago

My tip is at Plonevez du Faou. I can assure you that blue asbestos was never used in corrugated sheeting.

Sorry no image available
Posted by Fish24 - 3 years ago

Forgot to post the following past situation from AI Dordogne

http://dordogne.angloinfo.com/forum/viewtopic/50809/0/disposal-of-corrigated-asbestos-cement-roof-sheets/6

Sorry no image available
Posted by Fish24 - 3 years ago

May I suggest before you go any further, to check the 'colour' (white; brown, blue) of your asbestos.  There are different 'grades' and chemical names and disposal is regulated (blue being the most dangerous and requires very specific handling at a huge cost).

Go to your nearest very big dechetterie and take a very small sample of damp asbestos wrapped up to avoid dust and fibre contamination and ask for advice!  It costs nothing and you maybe lucky.