DISCUSSIONS

Find the answers to many of your expat questions here

View Latest Posts

You're missing out...

As a member you can enjoy exclusive info and offers.

REGISTER NOW

Ballast

Posted by bijoux-434299 - Created: 3 years ago
0 0
Sorry no image available

8 replies (Showing replies: 1 to 8)

Sorry no image available
Posted by bijoux-434299 - 3 years ago

Thanks everyone

Sorry no image available
Posted by sanjon-627351 - 3 years ago

Bijoux, as far as I'm aware, Melange Beton is sand and gravel mixed and is what would normally be referred to in the UK as 'Ballast' and whenever I ask for Melange Beton at the quarry I use they always load me with sand and gravel. 

But just to be certain, when you go to enquire about it if you ask for Melange Beton and add as a question, "Melange sable et gravier?", if they define something else, maybe what Fitter has described, I think they'll soon put you straight.

Best of luck.

John.

Sorry no image available
Posted by Fitter - 3 years ago

I know that you can use zero/whatever to make concrete, but I was told that it's not as strong concrete as sand+gravel but can be used for paths, shed rafts etc but not for anything structural like cast lintels, foundations  etc.

Sorry no image available

So is melange beton, ballast? Sand and gravel mix to add to cement like in the UK? If I go to the quarry they can show us anyway so we can make sure it's the right stuff ..thanks 

Sorry no image available
Posted by sanjon-627351 - 3 years ago

Hello Fitter,

I hope you don't mind me saying, but I think you might be getting 'ballast', which is normally sand and gravel mixed, confused with 'crusher run' which as you say is a mixture of everything from say, 10mm down to zero, or 20mm down to zero, or 30mm down to zero, or whatever you want as the largest size down to zero.

Ballast is normally sand and gravel mixed and just to give Bijoux an idea of price, when I collect ballast from the quarry it works out about 22 euros a tonne while it would be about 60 euros for a measured 'cube' (which I think works out to be about 1.7 tonnes) collected from BigMat.

Regards,

John.

Sorry no image available

Thanks, will go to the quarry later to make sure it's the same stuff..need it in bulk,,don't want small bags so quarry seems best bet :)

Sorry no image available
Posted by Fitter - 3 years ago

As I understand it - melange beton comes in different grades - 0/10  0/20  0/25 etc and is a mixture of everything that has passed through a screen of 10 or 20 or 25 mm mesh,  and can be bought in bulk from quarries. Also from PointP in bulk bags.

http://www.pointp.fr/melange-beton/x3afc-

I have seen 0/30, known as zero trente, used to make up levels and then compacted with a wacker plate before concreting.

Sorry no image available
Posted by georgeV-988991 - 3 years ago

Most Gam Vert depots sell what you need.