DISCUSSIONS

Find the answers to many of your expat questions here

View Latest Posts

You're missing out...

As a member you can enjoy exclusive info and offers.

REGISTER NOW

Bathroom cleaner that tackles limescale

Posted by aramanta - Created: 3 years ago
0 0
Sorry no image available

10 replies (Showing replies: 1 to 10)

Sorry no image available
Posted by LilyP - 3 years ago

Shower Power for shower screens.

Sorry no image available
Posted by Freda Checks - 3 years ago

A water softener is installed at the rising mains, but leaving a hard feed for the kitchen sink.

They are expensive in France but I brought mine over from the UK 12 years ago. Needs no maintenance apart from filling with salt granules or salt blocks. Best softeners are made by Kinetico and/or Harveys. Plenty available on eBay UK.

Don't be fooled into getting a so called "water conditioner" - they do not work!

Sorry no image available
Posted by aramanta - 3 years ago

Beeswax polish sounds like a good prevention - save me having to bother with a cure! A water softener would have to be fitted to the incoming water line to the house I presume.

Sorry no image available
Posted by plouyepaul - 3 years ago

Lidl do a limescale remover, it's cheap and very effective.

Posted by Joyce - 3 years ago

I always buff my chrome bathroom fittings with a some bees wax furniture polish on a soft cloth and have never had the problem of a limescale build up.  If my shower head is starting to clog up I soak sheets of kitchen roll in white vinegar and wrap the shower head with it.  I leave it overnight and rinse off in the morning, which seems to get rid of any blockage.

Sorry no image available
Posted by Freda Checks - 3 years ago

Time to invest in a water softener!! Had one for 40 years no limescale for me! Well worth the investment.

Sorry no image available
Posted by aramanta - 3 years ago

Thanks. I really like the white vinegar idea. 

Sorry no image available
Posted by Jo Taylor-790528 - 3 years ago

I'd never lived in a hard water area before coming to France.

We spent a fortune on descaling products (particularly for kettles) until realising that white vinegar does the job for a tiny fraction of the price.

If it's time-sensitive and you don't want the whiff of vinegar (which soon disappears), SuperU and Carrefour do an own-brand bathroom descaler in a squeezy bottle - put on a cloth, wipe over, leave for five minutes, rinse. There are also several brands available in squirty bottles (not aerosols).

Sorry no image available
Posted by one4all-436374 - 3 years ago

Yes vinegar is great to remove limescale, use it as soon as deposits start to accumulate.

Propriatry brands like Cillitt Bang are available from most supermarkets.

Sorry no image available
Posted by Anonymous - 3 years ago

Calcaire is correct.  You could save money and just use white vinegar or lemon juice if you don't wait until it is really thick and crusted, more of an ongoing treatment to stop it taking hold.