DISCUSSIONS

Find the answers to many of your expat questions here

View Latest Posts

You're missing out...

As a member you can enjoy exclusive info and offers.

REGISTER NOW

Bays as hedge?

Posted by stonedecroze - Created: 3 years ago
0 0
Sorry no image available

10 replies (Showing replies: 1 to 10)

Sorry no image available
Posted by stonedecroze - 3 years ago

Mine are nobilis

can I just dig out and dig straight in to another hole with just nipping tops off.

mind you when i will get the energy to do it I am not sure!

Sorry no image available
Posted by Chenille-642548 - 3 years ago

If anyone wants any 'Prunus laurocerasus' plants I have around 10 growing wild which you are welcome to take.  They are around 10 inches tall now and will stay in the ground until their new owner arrives!

Quintin, 22800

Sorry no image available
Posted by Dave Evans-439024 - 3 years ago

Ours is the nobilis. Leaves full of oil hence it burns well. Tried shredding it but the overpowering smell makes me puke!

Sorry no image available
Posted by wayn kerr - 3 years ago

Looks like some confusion here folks. Laurus nobilis produces the fragrant bay leaves that we use in cooking, Prunus laurocerasus is the fast growing shrub often used as a hedging plant and which is poisonous and releases cyanide gas when burned. 

Sorry no image available
Posted by Dave Evans-439024 - 3 years ago

The previous owners of our house planted a row of these trees as a windbreak many years ago and they are fabulous. About 20 feet high and 4 feet wide they stop the winter southerly winds dead! As said though they produce a lot of trimmings. Burn well though!

Sorry no image available
Posted by Tryval - 3 years ago

Be prepared for lots of visits to the dechetterie with the prunings, the good news is, if its the 'sweet bay', LOTS  of herb from the only tree amongst the herbs.

Sorry no image available
Posted by portman-642446 - 3 years ago

I was told years ago plant 2 rows about 18 inches apart and the plants diagonaly about 2 ft apart. It certainly worked. The bushes can be seen on Google Earth quite well, we moved some 15 years ago and planted 29 years before that.

Posted by itinerant child-414831 - 3 years ago

I can not remember exactly how far apart I planted some last time as it was quite a few years ago,but would say every two feet should be fine. Also you will find that they will succeed better in good sunlight and spots more sheltered from the wind.

Happy gardening

A bientot

Jamie xx

Sorry no image available
Posted by stonedecroze - 3 years ago

Thank you both for replies and, yes I Child okay but missing mans hands dans le jardin.

So will dig up bays, dig holes ( amongst the stones) and hope it takes off.) how far apart each one and should they be staggered, = off set front to back

Sorry no image available
Posted by countrydweller - 3 years ago

They make an excellent hedge but remember to trim the tops out to get the lower parts to bush out