DISCUSSIONS

Find the answers to many of your expat questions here

View Latest Posts

You're missing out...

As a member you can enjoy exclusive info and offers.

REGISTER NOW

Big TVs - Built in obscelesence or just bad luck?

Posted by Bod - Created: 3 years ago
0 0
Sorry no image available

10 replies (Showing replies: 1 to 10)

Sorry no image available
Posted by JB2014 - 3 years ago

Well said Fitter. Almost every dead electrical device I pull apart has blown/leaked caps. Dead easy to fix if you know how.

Sorry no image available
Posted by Fitter - 3 years ago

Sorry-4got to include the link-https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Capacitor_plague

Sorry no image available

The Capacitor Plague-this is part of the problem with modern electronics - I learnt this after inexplicably my Technics hifi would not switch on or power up-sorted by Phil Haigh.

Further research at the time revealed that the company making the liquid to fill the capacitors got the recipe wrong.

Sorry no image available
Posted by Cumbrian-440719 - 3 years ago

Notice that one poster rates Panasonic . We have had 2 , one now 9 years old  and the other 5. No problems whatsoever. 

Sorry no image available
Posted by one4all-436374 - 3 years ago

It is not only TVs that would appear to have "built in obscelesence", with many small appliances the cost of factoring the cost of time and  labour for disassembling and investigating a fault is greater than or almost equal to buying a new product. A real shame and not environmentally friendly but that is the world today unfortunately.

Sorry no image available
Posted by sophie hunton - 3 years ago

I have a 42" and a 60" TV,both are plasma as I was told by a Philips chap that plasma was the best ,both the tv's are a few years old and have been no trouble,ask anyone which is the most reliable brand or model and they will all tell you something different, my conclusion would be its just your luck.

Sorry no image available

There is a very clever guy here in Brittany who seems to be able to repair just about anything electronic. I have had a newish tv repaired by him and also a valuable classic hi-fi.

There is a recent thread about him including contact details here:-

http://brittany.angloinfo.com/forum/viewtopic/196107

Sorry no image available
Posted by clarksinfrance - 3 years ago

Having had a flat screen LCD (from LG) stop working 2 days out of warranty, thought it wouldn't be too much trouble to get it repaired. How wrong was I? It appears as there are now many many models produced from each manufacturer, that virtually no spares are kept for repairs, warranteed or not. This is a deliberate ploy from manufacturers as part of their risk assessment of the life of a warranteed product. ie if it is to go wrong it is usually in the early days, when the model is still being manufactured, so easy to swap new for old; out of warranty, the customer is almost certain going to have to replace, making more money for manufacturers.

Sorry no image available
Posted by JohnP-390097 - 3 years ago

I think you have been unlucky, With the exception of one, I have always had 8 years plus from a TV. I currently have a 52" Sony which is over 4 years old and I bought it with a good discount as it was a demonstration model. I live alone and my TV goes on when I get up and unless I go out, it stays on all day every day. This is my 4th Sony and they have all given me good service. If you enjoy your TV viewing I think it is worth buying the best you can afford at the time and hopefully it will give you good service for many years.

Sorry no image available
Posted by Bod - 3 years ago

We thought we'd bought a good make too it was a 46" Samsung :(