Find the answers to many of your expat questions here

View Latest Posts

You're missing out...

As a member you can enjoy exclusive info and offers.


Bobbly walls!

Posted by Caro 22 - Created: 4 years ago
0 0
Sorry no image available

7 replies (Showing replies: 1 to 7)

Sorry no image available
Posted by Caro 22 - 4 years ago

Thank you very much. ..will get hold of him, always great to have a recommendation. 




Sorry no image available
Posted by Artisan56 - 4 years ago

I second that, Matt Chalk is the man for the job, I have used him several times for various different contracts.

Sorry no image available
Posted by brittanyfairies - 4 years ago

I can truly recommend Matt Chalk who advertises on this site. He gives a reasonable quote, does the job when he says he's going to and has a great work ethic. I've been very happy with work he's done for me.



Sorry no image available
Posted by ropeyxxx123 - 4 years ago

hi caro 22

to answer your question .there should be absolutely nothing to stop you having your walls plastered

over to a nice smooth finish for paintwork.may take a little prep yes .but no problem.


dragon plastering services    22480

Sorry no image available
Posted by Caro 22 - 4 years ago

Thank you both for your advice.  I'm pretty sure it's supposed to be bobbly (it's not bubbles) and seems pretty hard. 

I'm going to try and find someone to do the job for me as I really don't have the time myself. 


Any decorators looking for a bit of work?


Thank you


Sorry no image available
Posted by noblesse-404553 - 4 years ago

If the bubbles are a result of the wrong kind of paint (generally gloss) being applied directly over French plastered walls, it would be best to first find out why the bubbles popped up in the first place!

It might be that the plaster or whatever behind the paint has been damp at some stage and the damp has not been able to 'evaporate' throught the paint. 

When the moisture comes out of the plaster but can't get through the paint, the moisture forms droplets that dissolve the plaster and when the moisture eventually dries out the plaster reforms and leaves a hard bump. 

If you just apply crepi over the paint, you may have further problems in the future, with the newly crepied surfaces bubbling up as well.

If you can't remove all the paint, at least knock off as many of the bumps as you can (try using  a filling knife or similar) so that any future moisture has somewhere to go. Then you can apply the crepi ferrandiere suggested or an enduit de lissage. The French have lots of products designed to go over bumpy and damage walls????


Sorry no image available
Posted by ferrandiere - 4 years ago

You need some Crepi Decollable for interior walls. Works a treat to cover up lumpy plaster and artex. Available from most Brico shops. We have found that the one from Leroy Merlin works best. Around 6 euros for a 15kg tub. Put on with a large brush, smoothing as you go. You will end up with a smooth finish which looks great once painted.