DISCUSSIONS

Find the answers to many of your expat questions here

View Latest Posts

You're missing out...

As a member you can enjoy exclusive info and offers.

REGISTER NOW

Bonfire or not bonfire - that is the question

Posted by andrew & elizabeth - Created: 3 years ago
0 0
Sorry no image available

10 replies (Showing replies: 1 to 10)

Sorry no image available
Posted by Dave Evans-439024 - 3 years ago

With you there tinabee!!!

Dave

Sorry no image available
Posted by tinabee - 3 years ago

Definitely get written confirmation as the fine can be up to €450

Sorry no image available
Posted by Dave Evans-439024 - 3 years ago

I sent an email to our local marie and received one back saying that I could burn what I had asked permission to burn.

Dave

Sorry no image available
Posted by orme2 - 3 years ago

In our commune the ban on bonfires dates from a year ago.  There is no derogation for dry stuff - all bonfires are banned and only the farmers have special allowances made.  Our council waste dump has a special bin for garden waste, and we are supposed to either take it there or compost it (we were given compost bins a few years ago).

It really looks as though each commune has its own rules, so the only way to know is have a look at them - they should be available in writing (better that than 'yes, but so-and-so told me' when the police check you  ..... !!).

Sorry no image available
Posted by Busterboy - 3 years ago

The general banning of bonfires was for 'green' stuff that smokes allot!

You can burn dry stuff although each commune will have dates when bonfires are forbidden - usually in the summer!

Sorry no image available
Posted by greenandpleasant - 3 years ago

As Genie has correctly said, the sdis website is the place to check - it has a panel on the right hand side of the home page which is updated daily and shows whether the conditions are favourable for bonfires or not.  Our neighbours all use the advice on there, as do we.  I'm sure your Marie will give you an opinion too, but I personally trust the advice of the fireman, it will be them coming to the rescue if things go wrong, not the mayor!

Sorry no image available
Posted by luap1 - 3 years ago

This is the the up-dated gouvernment  stance on garden fires :

https://www.service-public.fr/particuliers/vosdroits/F31858

Sorry no image available
Posted by JohnP-390097 - 3 years ago

I live in Guiscriff (56) and we are allowed bonfires at certain times of the year, basically winter months. It seems to vary from one commune to another so check with your Mairie.

Sorry no image available
Posted by Dibbyspot - 3 years ago

We had the same problem. Asked the Mairie who advised, bonfires are forbidden! Then added personally I have no objection.

What this means is that you can have a bonfire but if I get a complaint it is forbidden. Our framing neighbour advised forbidden in June july, August and Sept - harvest time.

As in much of France there is  local "custom and practice" to this matter.

Sorry no image available
Posted by genie-382498 - 3 years ago

once you know that your commune allows fires check this link under Avis du SDIS sur l'incinération de végétaux - http://www.sdis56.fr/