DISCUSSIONS

Find the answers to many of your expat questions here

View Latest Posts

You're missing out...

As a member you can enjoy exclusive info and offers.

REGISTER NOW

Bougainvillea help

Posted by Tinks-423368 - Created: 3 years ago
0 0
Sorry no image available

4 replies (Showing replies: 1 to 4)

Sorry no image available
Posted by Tinks-423368 - 3 years ago

Thank-you for your replies , I think it is probably the pot being in the sun , roots too hot , it is the same with most plants in pots , don't like their feet in the sun .... I walk  pass a magnificent large specimen , in shade under a balcony so it is sheltered but obviously gets sun as there are so many flowers the leaves are hardly visible , it is in the ground though .... Now how to hide the pot ! and to keep an eye on night time temps ....

Sorry no image available
Posted by kate.fitch@orange.fr - 3 years ago

you say the plant is in a clay pot. When we lived in Portugal the gardeners always said the plant likes its head in the sun and its feet in the shade. Could the roots be getting too hot? Also, the bouganvilla is not meant to be a climber, more a creeper so its not keen on being trussed up. I can't remember about pruning time, I think its only when its in full flower but I could be wrong on that. Try and keep the roots fairly dry and protect the plant from really cold nights, (hardly worth the trouble really)

Sorry no image available
Posted by moi-383589 - 3 years ago

Spider mite (insecticide soaps), zinc (fertilizer) or magnesium (Epsom salts or a fertilizer with magnesium) defeciency.

Sorry no image available
Posted by noblesse-404553 - 3 years ago

We've had some quite cold evenings this autumn followed by quite warm days, so perhaps the bouganvillea doesn't like this.

I think they're probably best as greenhouse/conservatory plants anywhere but in a hot, dry climate. We had an amazing one in our back garden in Saudi Arabia, so that gives you an idea of the type of conditions they prefer!