DISCUSSIONS

Find the answers to many of your expat questions here

View Latest Posts

You're missing out...

As a member you can enjoy exclusive info and offers.

REGISTER NOW

buying and using a kindle

Posted by bossbird - Created: 3 years ago
0 0
Sorry no image available

10 replies (Showing replies: 1 to 10)

Sorry no image available
Posted by geegee42 - 3 years ago

An android based tablet,there are loads about,the cheaper stuff you see like logicom polaroid is what it is cheap ,but move up to acer lenovo hewlet Packard or archos and you get a pretty decent tablet that will do what you want ,move up a step onto Sony /Samsung you get a slightly  better spec,as with most things its not look at what it can do but what you want it to do,big screens might look better but not ideal for sitting on your knee and reading from,small screens are too small if you want to watch videos or TV programmes but around 8" is ideal,there are loads of free applications you can load onto a tablet these are similar to computer programmes and easy too use.

Sorry no image available
Posted by bossbird - 3 years ago

I am sorry, but I really dont understand! If I stay away from a windows tablet and the apple logo denotes overpriced, then what is the alternative?

Sorry no image available

Sort of like a robot but more human like,sorry I digres,is basically similar to windows but specifically for phones and tablets, if you do decide to get a tablet instead of a kindle then steer clear of a windows tablet and don't get seduced by the apple logo,my daughter now works for Facebook and has a 1000€ iPhone,one of my other daughters has a 200€ huwei phone and personally I can't see much difference between the two.

Sorry no image available

Thanks , but what is an android?

Sorry no image available

And I my add ,an android operating system.

Sorry no image available

Your Amazon details are the same whichever site you buy from,same with eBay. A decent tablet is probably going to cost around 150€ but it will have plenty of storage space a fairly fast processor WiFi and Bluetooth,they usually have same features as a kindle for use as a book reader but the thing I like about mine is I can read a book and listen to music at the same time ,it's easy to put adds on Leboncoin ,I can flip in a split second between French and English keyboards ,I can plug it into the TV and use the TV as a monitor or watch stuff on YouTube on the TV,plug it in to the HiFi and use it as a digi music player,to me its an incredible piece of kit,I wouldn't be without mine,3g only applys to tablets that take a sim card,but you do need non reflective screen ,camera front and back for Skype,HDMI out and a couple of micro USB sockets and also be able to expand the memory with a micro SD card.

Sorry no image available
Posted by Colomban - 3 years ago

I never have a problem buying and downloading books from the Amazon UK site even though they have my payment address registered in France.

Have to say, I now use my iPad more than my Kindle.  

In fact I still prefer 'real' books.  For my paperback fix I use www.awesomebooks.co.uk  The choice of books from 2.49 is really good, and the postage charges are incredibly good value for money.

Sorry no image available

Hi , In your opinion is it worth having a tablet with 3g capabilities in rural france? Not sure of the benefits of 3g, it is just useful if we are away from a wifi outlet isnt it? If i were to buy a tablet rather than kindle would it be just as easy to read for downloaded books? If so, what is the benefit of having a kindle over a tablet? It does all seem a bit of a minefield!

Sorry no image available

Hi, I think my amazon uk account and my amazon fr account are the same. I only log in with the same info, so i suppose its the same. Would this indicate that i could buy from the fr site and still buy/download from uk site. 

Sorry no image available

Tablet v laptop is a different question, I have a good quality tablet a laptop and a desk top PC ,the desktop I use mainly to do photos and paperwork ,the laptop sits in its sack up the corner and the tablet I use all the time,in my opinion for most daycto day use a tablet Beats a laptop hands down.