DISCUSSIONS

Find the answers to many of your expat questions here

View Latest Posts

You're missing out...

As a member you can enjoy exclusive info and offers.

REGISTER NOW

Calcium Carbonate

Posted by Bollydolly-889742 - Created: 3 years ago
0 0
Sorry no image available

8 replies (Showing replies: 1 to 8)

Sorry no image available
Posted by Bollydolly-889742 - 3 years ago

Thanks Sophie, I may experiment with all the "recipes" to compare the results :-)

Sorry no image available
Posted by sophie hunton - 3 years ago

Plaster of Paris is fine ,I've been using it with the cheap brico acrylic white sticks OK and covers quite well ,its just a case of mixing in small amounts not a bucket full.try the builders merchants you can buy bags of lime there.

Sorry no image available

Hi firestarter, thanks for the info. Having thoroughly researched chalk paint I really think calcium carbonate is the best way forward, as plaster of Paris does tend to thicken quite quickly. Have even looked at cornstarch, but again thickening problems. I looked at Mythic and their colour range is fab, much more choice than Annie Sloan & Autentico both of which I have used, but really want to try making my own. if successful and it gives the coverage of the mainstream chalk paints, it will be a far more economical way to paint. I will continue the search for CC here, if not I have friends over next month from the UK and they can bring it over for me......trouble is I want to do it now, right this very minute! lol.

Thanks again for your help :-)

Sorry no image available

Thanks rabbit, not having much luck finding Agricultural suppliers anywhere near Dinan, but will keep looking :-)

Sorry no image available
Posted by firestarter-435430 - 3 years ago

Hi  Bollydolly

You might be able to get plaster of paris cheaper here.  I found a site with good recipes

http://salvagedinspirations.com/best-homemade-chalk-paint-recipes/

I had quite good results with my paint but find that the french paint is not nearly as good as stuff you can get in the UK as it's much thinner and did not cover with one (or even 2) coats.  If you are going to the UK it's worth checking out Mythic paint.  I got some brought over - it's latex acrylic which is ideally what you need and there are some gorgeous colours which are mixed on receipt of order.  Also they are very helpful.

Bon chance

Sorry no image available
Posted by rabbit-390317 - 3 years ago

The local agricultural suppliers sell it, its used for acid stomach in cows

Sorry no image available

Thmnks firestarter, I had looked at Amazon fr but the delivery was more than the calcium!

It is for paint making, will try the Brico type stores, if not will wait to get it from the UK, where it is sent post free.

Thanks again :-)

Sorry no image available
Posted by firestarter-435430 - 3 years ago

What do you want it for?   If it is for making chalk paint I got some from Amazon.fr.  It it did the job fine