DISCUSSIONS

Find the answers to many of your expat questions here

View Latest Posts

You're missing out...

As a member you can enjoy exclusive info and offers.

REGISTER NOW

Canceling Orange internet

Posted by tezzy - Created: 3 years ago
0 0
Sorry no image available

10 replies (Showing replies: 1 to 10)

Sorry no image available
Posted by hazy2 - 3 years ago

Its very easy. Your Notaire will give you an attestation of your sale which you give copies to or show all the relevant utility companies, ie EDF, phone, ater, insurances, CPAM etc etc. This is all that is required for cancellation if moving from France. Leave forwarding addresses or fill out a Post Office form to redirect your mail.

Do not close your bank account immediately because almost certainly you will receive reimbursement cheques or requests for payments.  Cancel all your direct debits where required. You can write to your bank to cancel after several months

Next year you will receive your tax forms for this year so be sure to inform les impots.

Hope this helps

Sorry no image available
Posted by crackeroo - 3 years ago

Avoican is right.

There is a procedure to be followed.... and as long as you follow it correctly, there should be no problem. 

I would ring them up (or write to them at the address Avoican gives) first of all to advise them that you are selling your house and cancelling your contract on such and such a date. As Avoican said, the notaire will give you a document which you should then copy and send to Orange. The day before the sale, (or on the same day if you can and want) you should return all the Orange material to the shop, either by registered mail or by dropping it into the shop.  The reason for sending this notaire document is that your contract may have a fixed duration, (2 years for example) and that you need proof that you are leaving the country before they will cancel free of charge.

Your bank should be aware that you are closing the account, but if I were you, I would keep it open for a couple of months, just to make sure that all the necessary bills have been paid. Pre-sign all the documents and the bank should (should!!) help you to conclude everything and ensure you leave the country without leaving any un-paid bills.  The water and electricity bills for example need final payment or reimbursement.

Sorry no image available
Posted by avoican - 3 years ago

Hi there the help line can't cancel your Orange internet connection.

You must write to :  Orange service client internet

Section 4  TSA 90008

59878  Lille

Cedex 9

You tell them the date that you are leaving France and when you would like the line teminated , it is free of charge and normally no resilliation chage ..

I have done it for people a couple of times ..

Sorry no image available
Posted by bella-382361 - 3 years ago

Some years ago we had notification from the bank that we were overdrawn two months after we closed the account. The reason being (they said)that a company (FT)asked for the money. We had already cancelled with FT. We found it almost impossible to cancel a prelevement despite the lettres recommande.

Sorry no image available
Posted by AQ-417490 - 3 years ago

Well, you might close your bank account, but charges can still he accrued against yourcaccount and you will be hounded to pay up. It is not as easy as you might think.

Sorry no image available
Posted by kervéor - 3 years ago

Are you sure you can close your bank accounts just like that ? I didn't think it was that easy but am willing to be corrected .

Sorry no image available
Posted by hazy2 - 3 years ago

If you have sold your house, the Notaire will give you copies of document which states the sale and date, minus the price and all companies use this as proof and you do not have to go tbrough tbe usual channels for cancellation. The same with your water abd electricity suppler.

If you have ceased renting or will have ceased on a certain date, your landlord can supply proof of intenttion to leave.

Sorry no image available
Posted by tezzy - 3 years ago

Hello thankyou for your replies,They will find it hard to take any money our account because we will be closing all our accounts down in France by 24th of this month

We have a payment coming out around the 17th then we will be cancelling it on 21st so we take it we might have to pay 1 or 2 months for cancelling.Which we are hoping to pay upfront when we take the box back.

But thanks for the number we will phone it soon and see what we have to do.Rather than my husband trying to explain it in the shop.

Sorry no image available
Posted by glamourpuss85 - 3 years ago

We've always found Orange very easy to deal with; had to call them last week after the Livebox blew up during the storms. The English helpline if needed is: 09 69 36 39 00, and they answered after 5 minutes on hold, and dealt with the problem very efficiently. Didn't think that was too bad, so hope the process to terminate a contract will be as easy to sort out!!

Sorry no image available
Posted by Dave Evans-439024 - 3 years ago

Hope things have improved since I gave up on Orange quite a few years ago. Finished up with a fluent French speaker cancelling it by phone. Then I sent the box back to them recorded delivery They denied that they received it. Luckily I had taken advice and got proof of posting! Then they took an unwarranted €50 out of my bank account. Just a few things to be aware of! Good luck, you'll need it!!!